Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewies Limping

• Thread starter dagwellismypigy
  • Start date

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I have no idea why. They are all out for floortime and from what I gather, Apollo was chasing Chewie and nipping his but(like always) then I heard this really loud squeel. I automatically get up and go over to the pen, Apollo is running one way and Chewie is limping the opposite direction.

I'm not sure whats going on? He's still limping and when he lays down his leg doesn't relax, like its just hanging up in the air. Does this need a vet visit? Would the vet even do anything except cost alot of money? There aren't any open wounds.

Sorry if this seems stupid and there's an obvious answer. I'm just so worried!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
He could have just pulled a muscle BUT he may have dislocated or even broken his leg. From the description of it "doesn't relax, like its just hanging up in the air" it sounds like a dislocation to me. I wish I was there so I could palpate it for you and find out.

I would take him to a vet to have it checked out and do it soon. A dislocation is actually more serious then a break as it can cut off blood suply to the limb.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Will tommorow be soon enough? I don't think I would be able to get an appointment for today, unless it's an emergany.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Call the vet and describe the injury. Hopefully the vet can determine how important it is over the phone. If it's a good vet.

In situations like this I usually call the vet and tell them I'm on my way with "insert animal here" I suspect "whatever injury" and to please be ready for my arrival. I then grab the animal and go to the vets. I have never been turned away in a suspected emergency situation. Any good vet will put an injured animal ahead of an animal in to get it's shots and most owners understand priority cases.

Heck it once took me 3 attempts to get hip x-rays done for my Great Dane because when I showed up for the first 2 appointments there were emergency cases (hit by car) taking up the x-ray and extra personal. I understood and just resceduled.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Dag -one more thing.
It the foot seems cool or cold then take him to the vet immediatly. It could signal loss of blood supply.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
All his feet are the same temperature, I'll email my mom(she's at work) and ask her what I can do.

Any idea on xray costs?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Don't know if I mentioned it, but he still has feeling in it and can still put some weight on it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Keep checking the foot temputature occasionally. It's a good sign that it is remaining warm.

He should still have feeling in it since the nerves usually aren't injured unless they are compressed by a dislocation.

Feel his hips and joints gently. Where is the pain? Do they feel the same on both sides or does the bone structure feel different? Is there swelling?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I can't tell where the pain is, he just keeps 'talking' to me, its normal but not very helpful in this situation. His leg does seem a bit swollen.

::EDIT:: After a little bit of poking, the pain sseems to be towards the front of the leg, like where the little crease is. (Does that makes any sense at all?)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Call the vet. See what he/she has to say.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Is it his back or front leg?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
If I just took the pig to the vet, with out calling ahead, would they think I was completely crazy or should I try to call ahead? What should I even say?

My gramma is coming over to take me veggie shoping in like 8 minutes, so I can probably get her to take me to the vets.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
It his back left leg.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
In the crease as in the joint?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Nope, the vet won't think you are crazy. They got into this profession because they love animals too. If you can get your Grandma to take you then do it. You may have to leave Chewy there if they are busy but since it could be serious it's worth it.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
How much are we talking here? Like hundreds?

Yeah, the creas as in the joint, couldn't remember the word.

Also, should I take one of the other pigs with him so he's not lonely? Or would it be best for him to be on his own?

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what the cost will be. Different vet's charge different amounts.

Take him by himself. He'll be fine without a pal for the day.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I wish you luck with Chewie and hope nothing is too seriously wrong.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I hope Chewie is OK. Let us know what the verdict is - let's hope it's nothing too bad.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Ok, now I'm out of freak out mode and can think as clear as usual.

My Gramma came over, like she always does on Mondays(to take me to get veggies) and when she walked in I told her that we had to go to the vets. She said ok, and I called the vet and they had a spot open at 3:00. We left at 2:30 and didn't get there until 3:30(it's hard to give old people directions:rolleyes: ) When we got there we went straight back, she examined him for like 10 minutes, massaging his little leg. She got to one place that made him scream, luckily it was a bone-y area. She said it was probably just a sprain or twist or something. No x-rays. She gave me some pain meds for him, It called Meloxicam the dosage is .15ml a day for tommorow and the day after. It ended up costing like 55 bucks:eye-poppi, thankfully my gramma likes the piggies.

I'm SOOOOOO glad my Chewie is ok!😌

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.