Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Cheilitis? or too much fruit?

liftingchic

Cavy Slave
My Gf has a guinea pig that we noticed has a sore on his corner of his lip.. She feeds him WAY too much fruit.. IE Grapes, oranges and apples... its only on the one side and its in the crack of his lip going the whole way in to the lip(mouth)

Any advice.. She stopped the fruit..

Attachments

DSC00538.jpg
It's possible it's cheilitis, but I can't tell from that picture. There's a good picture of cheilitis at https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html, along with the treatment.

BTW, tell your girl friend that guinea pigs should only have a small piece of fruit a couple of times a week. Fruit is too high in sugar to be given often, and can really upset the balance of a guinea pig's digestive tract. Here's a chart on what can be given and how often, and she needs to aim for a cup of veggies per day, in addition to unlimited long strand grass hay: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/.

if its just the fruit. how long would it take to clear up? I told her to make an appt for thursday and if it hasnt cleared up a little we will take him..

We are aware of the fruit now.. got him broccoli and bell peppers tonight

Attachments

DSC00537.jpg
It does look like cheilitis from that angle. I don't know how quickly it will get worse, but you might want to see if you can get him in before Thursday.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but broccoli isn't good for him either. He can have small amounts, but it's a very gassy vegetable, and can lead to bloat. Bloat is life-threatening in guinea pigs.

Red and green leaf lettuces, bell peppers of any color, a small chunk of carrot, a slice of tomato or a grape tomato, zucchini or other summer squash, endive, celery (cut in small slices or with the strings removed, a few green beans, and herbs such as cilantro, dill, and thyme make up a pretty good diet for a guinea pig.

My Snowflake,has this what works for their mouth cooking oil?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.