Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Check out the new cage! :)

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I finally got my boys in a bigger cage and back in my room so I wanted to share some pictures. I also wanted to show @spy9doc the fleece that she sent me! Radley is living in style and it wouldn't have been possible without her generosity. So, again, thank you! [GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)Here is Radley and her new feeding station. The hay rack is a suet feeder and the bin was from the Dollar Store. I put Carefresh Naturals in the bin and, as you can tell by the picture, it's halfway effective! She always goes in and around the bin and in a perfect little pile which is perfect for sweeping up. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but the red under the water bottle is part of a bath mat. I got the kind that you put around the toilet and cut off the arms to use as absorbent pads to soak up extra water drip. I use the remainder as a lap pad. I am going to get more to put under the bins to absorb her mess :) [GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)She is my little princess! Here she is investigating the camera I put in her cage.[GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)Scout enjoys eating from his hay station :) I have two in the boy's cage to reduce friction. It's awesome to see them munching on hay peacefully! [GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)Radley sleeps in her comfy cabana :silly:[GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)Harper and Scout nap together for once!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Check out the new cage! :)
I caught Harper in the act!
The ever curious Radley :)
I don't know why this picture is crooked, but isn't she pretty? She knows when to pose for the camera :)
And here is Radley's new digs, thanks to @spy9doc ! Thanks again, from both Radley and I! (And her soon-to-be new friend!)

That is an awesome set up and great pictures.

i love the way how your grids are on the inside of the edge if that makes sense :eye-poppi i wish i had done that as when my girls are in there inside cage they chew the corflute and i was hoping to get a piggy bedspread but they are not taking custom orders right now :(

i love the way how your grids are on the inside of the edge if that makes sense :eye-poppi i wish i had done that as when my girls are in there inside cage they chew the corflute
Well I haven't been able to get coro yet. Right now, I just use a tarp, then a layer of towels and fleece. I am hoping to get coro for Radley's cage today or tomorrow, because she is sooo bad about chewing the bars of her cage. She just really wants a friend! :(

Can someone tell me if Radley's 3x3 will be big enough for two sows? Thanks!

, because she is sooo bad about chewing the bars of her cage.

maybe i will just have to find something to cover the coroplast, Acorn would probably chew the bars too!

Soooo cute! ANd I LOVE the suet holder hay racks. So much so I went to Tractor Supply and bought one!

The cage and piggies are all so pretty! Very nice job on the cage.
3 x 3 = 9 sq feet. Recommended is 7.5 to 10 sq feet, so you're right inthe middle. The boys need more space, but the girls should be fine in a 3x3.

The cage and piggies are all so pretty! Very nice job on the cage.
3 x 3 = 9 sq feet. Recommended is 7.5 to 10 sq feet, so you're right inthe middle. The boys need more space, but the girls should be fine in a 3x3.

Well I was wondering, since the grids are 14 inches long then it would be more like 42"x42" which would be 12.25 sq ft? Or am I totally off? I think since the grids are more than a foot that those two inches perhaps add a little room..? Or am I just overthinking this? I took my last math class last semester and never have to touch the stuff again. I haate it.

Yeah3.5 ft by 3.5 is 12.25! Good for those piggers they certainly look content and I love th ebath mat idea. I have super issue swith the water bottle, my girls take it down constantly and drag it around, I tried a secure one but then they just sit there and yell at me. they like playing and an empty wont suffice! SO this might stop the issues when they pull it staright off and it sits touching the ground :)
Maybe this is gross but the pic of Radley at her feeding station is too cute with tthe little pileof poop, like "mom just so you know how smart I am but who really is the boss, I poop where I see fit even thought you set this up for a reason *wink*"

Oops, you're right! I keep forgettng the grids are 14 inches, not 12 inches. yes, 12.25 sq ft is more than enough space.

Maybe this is gross but the pic of Radley at her feeding station is too cute with tthe little pileof poop, like "mom just so you know how smart I am but who really is the boss, I poop where I see fit even thought you set this up for a reason *wink*"

hahha, not gross at all! She is SUCH a little princess and will only go right there. She is, by far, the easiest keeper ever. One or two sweeps of that pile a day and her cage is spic and span! I actually posted that picture on purpose to brag about how good she is with poops. My boyfriend cleaned the cage right after and I made him wait "so I can take a picture to show people on the forum!"
:D

Thanks with your help @Petlovr! I was hoping I wasn't just being generous with cage size!

Should I extend the 1x1 to be a 2x1 so there's more hidey space or will two girls get along if they have to share a "cave" like that. I have never had sows before Radley.

That is an amazing cage! Lucky piggies : )

What a cool cage! They all look super happy too.

If you can, I'd make the 1 x 1 into a 1 x 2. You have plenty of room, so there's no need to crowd them. I have 4 girls, 3 bonded that were rescued and re-homed together, and my original pig. The three girls have no problem crunching into 1 hidey, but each prefer having their own if they can. I think you'll find girls are a lot easier than boys. Oh, BTW, you are very generous with cage size-you've exceeded the "better" column! Good for you!

If you can, I'd make the 1 x 1 into a 1 x 2. You have plenty of room, so there's no need to crowd them. I have 4 girls, 3 bonded that were rescued and re-homed together, and my original pig. The three girls have no problem crunching into 1 hidey, but each prefer having their own if they can. I think you'll find girls are a lot easier than boys. Oh, BTW, you are very generous with cage size-you've exceeded the "better" column! Good for you!

Good idea! I will certainly do that with the loft. She uses it enough that were it bigger I think she would really enjoy it. Her hay station would fit perfectly under the loft, too :)

Harper and Scout are in a 3x4. I know the chart says this is adequate size, and they don't seem to be on top of one another at all, but it looks cramped. Am I just crazy? :crazy:

Harper and Scout are in a 3x4. I know the chart says this is adequate size, and they don't seem to be on top of one another at all, but it looks cramped. Am I just crazy?

I think the smaller cages look cramped once you put a hay station and a hidey in, there isn't as much floor space. Also, I'm so used to looking at a 18 sq ft cage my girls are in, anything smaller looks tiny. If they are happy, you can leave them alone, but if you have the space to expand, go for it. Everyone likes a roomy environment!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.