Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cheapest food

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
what are the cheapest vegetables to buy my GP, i seem to buy carrots and parsley and within one weeks its gone! so anyone got any ideas? i thought maybe wheat grass but im not sure where to buy from

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Well Romaine lettuce is usually under a $1 per head of lettuce. My piggs love Romaine! You could get some of that!

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
i thought lettuce gave them diaohria or whatever? i just gave mine some celery and i held her but she was scared sigh i think i will only hold her every friday when i clean her out until she has her babies as i dont want to worry her.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Too much of anything with a high water content may give them diarrhoea - not just lettuce but also things like cucumber and celery. As far as lettuce goes, iceberg is pretty bad because it barely contains anything but water, but the leafier, dark green lettuce like romaine are much better. Mine share a leaf of this with their breakfast every day.

It's best to give your pigs a variety of a wide range of veggies - not only will that please them best, but each veggie has different vitamin and nutritional content so they'll gain more nutritionally. Also there are many problems than may arise if you feed too much of any one thing. Some veggies are too watery so could upset their stomachs (cucumber, celery) some are high in calcium which it's though may contribute to bladder and kidney stones (parsley, spinach) and some may cause gas (cabbage, broccoli).

By feeding a small amount of a variety of veggies, you don't have to worry about that, and you know they're getting a good diet.

I guess what veggies are cheapest depends on where you live and what's in season. Ask your grocer if they throw away any offcuts - many tidy them up to put them on display and you could find you can get some good quality greens and carrot tops for free. This chart might give you some ideas of what to lok out for https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#veg.

Also, nature provides some tasty and nutritious forages. I regularly pick grass and dandelion greens for my lot. Just make sure you don't pick anything from a roadside, or from where other animals toilet. Here's aosme more information on what you can feed https://www.guinealynx.info/forages.html.

cacosta

Cavy Slave
Fresh veggies don't usually stay fresh past a week. I tend to buy about 2-3 Red/Green bell peppers, a big bunch of parsley/cilantro, a big bunch of Kale and some green leaf lettuce. This is per week for 2 pigs. They also get an apple slice per pig when I slice one up for the kids.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
hmm thanks i might buy some peppers tomorrow to see if she likes them

cacosta

Cavy Slave
My daughter (3 yrs old) was walking by the cage eating a red pepper one evening and Tilt started wheeking and climbing the grids trying to get to it. She ran from the room screaming "Mommy, he's gonna get me!"

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
awwwwwww how cute. When I give my piggers bell peppers, cucumbers it makes their urine smell like amonia. I give them spinach and carrots, sometime apples when I slice them up for me and the bunnies.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
i like how when kids are little they think everything is scary haha, the bell peppers do you have to empty the seeds out??

Denise

Cavy Slave
Mine get Romaine everyday along with a variety of bell peppers, cucumber, kale, tomatoes, spinich, mustard greens, banana, green beans, apple. I get six romaine hearts at Sam's Club for between $2.50 - $3.50 every week. I've tried not giving romaine and they just don't eat as well.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
yeah, you should take the seeds out. You can also freeze peppers after you've chopped them. So if it's cheaper to buy a big bag, just chop them all up and freeze what you're not going to use any time soon. Then just defrost them as needed.

I don't do this with my pigs, because I live in a house with 4 other people and 1 fridge (and my pig's food takes up alot of room already!)! but my parents have a huge garden, and do this every summer so that they can have peppers year round.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I don't think any veggies taste good raw after freezing - because of their high water content, freezing really messes with the texture and flavour. It's not so noticable when you cook them, but you can really tell the difference raw. And of course any process like that affects the nutritional content to some degree so I'd recommend an extra trip to the grocer instead!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, freezing makes them taste really weird.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.