Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting changing my mind about petstores

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
so, since i've been visiting this site, i've learned SSSOOOOO much about guniea pigs, and about pets in general. but the biggest change has been in my feelings towards pet stores, especially those that sell live animals. i've been passionate about alot of things in my life, but i never thought i'd feel this way about pet stores. i've read so many nightmare stories about animals as "business" and about the horrible conditions and treatment at most pet stores, it's starting to really make me sick. i do my best to purchase things i need on-line from non-animal selling sites, and get things from places i know are "pro-animal". i'm uncomfortable, a bit, about sounding like some sort of crazy cat lady - some "wacko" animal rights freak. i don't say much to other people, it's so hard to explain in one sentence. but, like i said, over the course of these past few months, i've had my eyes opened. i don't want to start any big war of words about this. i just wondered if there was anyone else who felt like they had their attitudes changed about things like this, and i guess i'm struggling to quietly steer people to information, when it seems appropriate, without coming across like an extremist and turning people off. just looking for some peers here. and, just to anticipate some responses, i know some pet stores are lovely to their pets. but all that goes on behind and before they get to the lovely pet store employee usually isn't so nice. the industry as a whole is so scary.

You're not an overboard crazy animal activist person, lol!

I think it's good you can peel back the layers and see the industry for what it really is. It doesn't make you crazy, it makes you better informed and caring. Some people can't look beyond the pet's in the stores themselves and convince themselves it's ok to purchase the animals from there because,"They take such good care of them!" Yet they refuse to think about where the animals come from in the first place. I was even like that at one point.

I think these small animals can change us in amazing ways. I don't think some people know how full of personality something as small as a mouse/guinea pig/rabbit can have.

I understand completely. I have opened my eyes as well and im still a young teen! I got my hamster from a pet store a few months back.... I love her to death but after finding this site i wish i would have gotten a rescue. But dont get me wrong i love her dearly just not the industry. I got my guinea pig from craigslist after the girls female had babies, (dont support that either!) and im glad i did. My uncle though got his two guinea pigs from a pet store, he bought one that was pregnant. Well he had no idea until one day there were 3 more babies! The whole litter and mom died, this is how bad the petstores are. Now my uncles other guinea pig has no friend and is suffering from a loss. and my uncles kids are also suffering a loss. i feel more bad for the guinea pigs though since these are little boys and have no idea about loss and death and how its not "just a guinea pig"!! So i understand completely sorry for such a long comment.

One of the best things about this website is how it educates people, not only in proper cavy care but also in the issues of pet stores, breeder mills, and overpopulation.

I've turned into quite an outspoken advocate of adoption because of my own experience. I bought a piggy from a pet store right before I found this website, and he was dead of a URI 15 days later. It was a heartbreaking lesson, but one I'll never forget. I was already against the selling of cats and dogs, but I never knew about small animal adoption. I got my next piggies from a humane society and Craigslist, and I try to educate others whenever possible.

Just talk to people politely and stick to facts and you won't come across as a whacko. If you convince even one person not to buy a pet store pig and to adopt instead, you'll have put the cause one step closer to closing down breeder mills, and you'll have caused two piggies to be saved (the one that person adopts and the next pig that can take that spot in a shelter).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.