Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Changed to new pellets

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I have totally change Abbey and Zoe over to Oxbow adult (Feb. 24th). I have noticed they are shedding a little more and they seem to have more dandruff. They usually have very shiny, sleek fur. They are going from a 19% protein pellet to a 14% protein pellet. I started slowly changing them over Jan. 30, gradually increasing the amount of new to the old. Is this normal when changing pellets? I have no idea how much of the new food they were eating when I mixed them. They are not big pellet eaters and right now are only eating approximately 3 tbsp. or less between the two of them in 24 hours. Anyone have the same experience when changing pellets?

The only four recommended pellets are: KM Hayloft pellets, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. Mazuri is an alfalfa based pellet so 1/8 cup is all a guinea pig should be fed each day. They can have 1/4 cup of the others. As long as you are feeding one of these four, they are getting the proper nutrition from a pellet without dangerous additives. Are you bathing them at all? If you have heat on in the house, it might be drying their skin. You can brush them more often to distribute the oils from their skin to their fur.

The only four recommended pellets are: KM Hayloft pellets, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. Mazuri is an alfalfa based pellet so 1/8 cup is all a guinea pig should be fed each day. They can have 1/4 cup of the others. As long as you are feeding one of these four, they are getting the proper nutrition from a pellet without dangerous additives. Are you bathing them at all? If you have heat on in the house, it might be drying their skin. You can brush them more often to distribute the oils from their skin to their fur.

They are now on Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (Adult). It says on the back of the Oxbow bag, "1/8 cup pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay". They are eating some but not 1/8 cup so far.

I agree that it could be just that we have the heat on and the air in the house is drier. I do brush them every day during lap time. They love it. I haven't bathed them so far. The most they get is a bum wash with a washcloth once in awhile. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

They are now on Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (Adult). It says on the back of the Oxbow bag, "1/8 cup pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay". They are eating some but not 1/8 cup so far.

I agree that it could be just that we have the heat on and the air in the house is drier. I do brush them every day during lap time. They love it. I haven't bathed them so far. The most they get is a bum wash with a washcloth once in awhile. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Pellets should make up the smallest part of their diet but they can be fed up to 1/4 cup of timothy based pellets. Mazuri should be limited to no more than 1/8 cup because it's alfalfa based which is higher in calcium, which in excess, can lead to bladder stones.

My adult pigs only get 1/8 Cup Oxbow timothy-based hay. I've seen the 1/8 cup guideline on the forum for adults, with the understanding that adults should only get a timothy pellet and not alfalfa (unless pregnant maybe?).

My adult pigs only get 1/8 Cup Oxbow timothy-based hay. I've seen the 1/8 cup guideline on the forum for adults, with the understanding that adults should only get a timothy pellet and not alfalfa (unless pregnant maybe?).

Do your pigs eat the full 1/8 cup? Mine are only munching a few. They may be hoping if they hold out I will give them back their other ones. They are both a little chubby so I am not worried and they just eat more hay. I think in time they will come around.

My Aby doesn't eat much of the pellets at all. Some days I don't think she eats more than a few pellets if any at all. She eats a ton of hay and likes her veg. We supplement her with Vitamin C drops (directly via syringe, not in water or powder). She's very healthy, 900 grams, dynamic. Our paired shorthairs eat every last bit and would eat more if we let them. They are both just over 1000 grams. Our large boar eats at least half, sometimes more. He's about 1200 grams. The main thing is that they all eat a lot of hay, poop quite regularly (!!!) and like their veg and occasional fruit treat. I don't worry about our girl not eating her pellets since she eats her hay freely and eats all of her salad. I know the pellets have trace minerals but the vet is happy with her health and we've seen no issues with it.

Our Aby was originally eating the icky kaytee pellets but picked out the added dried bits. We switched her to Oxbow and I think she's eating about the same or maybe more, since she really didn't care for the kaytee, either.

Last edited:
Also I think our girl liked the Oxbow alfalfa that she got when she was just a baby furball. I don't think she cares for the timothy as much.

Thanks Wildcavy for the information. Both my girls are shorthairs. Zoe weighs 1220 grams and Abbey weighs 1190 grams so they could lose a little off their double chins. They eat tons of hay also and their salad morning and night.

My girls get Oxbow Vit C because they are not fond of peppers.

It's hard to monitor which of my guinea pigs how much of their pellets. I only offer the maximum in each cage per day. My cage with 3 girls never has any left. My males sometimes finish theirs. My two females rarely do and my new one in quarantine never finishes hers. They all prefer KM pellets. If I put them in different dishes, the KM pellets go first. If I mix them in, they're not as obvious about their choice.

They all prefer KM pellets. If I put them in different dishes, the KM pellets go first. If I mix them in, they're not as obvious about their choice.

I have been thinking about switching from Oxbow to KM pellets, but haven't decided yet. Do they also recommend 1/8 cup per day per pig?

Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Timothy has more fiber and less fat than KM, same protein and Oxbow gives a (min) 0.35% and a (max) 0.85% for calcium. According to their website KM's calcium is listed as (min) 0.7%, but doesn't list a (max), but they use a different source of calcium. KM has more Vit. C. I have done as much research as I can and it is still very confusing. I will be glad when our snow is gone and I can get outside gardening and stop the constant pellet chatter in my head.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.