Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy chances of pregnant pig?

momma liz

Cavy Slave
hi everyone, I went away for 3 weeks and left my GP with a friend. when I came back, I found out she had kept my female pig with a 4 year old male! the whole time as well. she said she didn't see them mating at all, but saw him chasing her a lot. this wasnt agreed, and I was very angry.
the female is 4 months old, and its been 5 weeks since she was first introduced to the male... I have a male guinea pig (who we are trying to find a male buddy for) who in 2 days has only drunk maybe a third of his bottle, whereas Oreo has gone through nearly a whole one! does this meen she is pregnant?
of course i just want to be prepared. i have had guineapigs all my life, but never a pregnant one so dont know how high the chances are of her being pregnant.

oh and a little side note-- the male she was living with for 3 weeks had anal impaction, so I don't know if he could have gotten her pregnant like this.

sorryone of my first posts is a question, I'm just concerned for my little baby.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
It is possible but theres no way to tell for sure except to wait. Keep an eye on her, and weigh her daily if you have a scale. 3 weeks is a pretty long time, so there is I chance. (I'm not sure about the impaction.) I hope it works out, and keep us posted :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
oh dear, i would be quite upset with that friend too! but what's done is done, do keep an eye out if piggy starts growing wider.

lexi43

Cavy Slave
My friend's cousin gave us a gp and said it was a male. The first night Smores cried so hard we thought he was lonesome and we got anothert male pig. We it tuned out Smores was a female and she got pregnant. We didn't even realize she was except she was gaining weight. Then one morning we woke up and there was two little babies. Acturally 3 but one was stillborn. Now because we didn't know how fast a female can get pregnant we didn't take the male out of the cage in time we think she is pregnant again. So it's very possible your gp could be pregnant. I hope you are luckier than we were.

momma liz

Cavy Slave
I'll keep an eye on her. willkeep you posted! just giving her loads of fresh veggies and fruit. will keep you updated!!

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
It can go either way. I took in a male and female who had lived together for 8 weeks. The female was 12 weeks and the male 16 weeks when I got them. Everyone told me she was "probably' pregnant because of the amount of time they lived together. She is off pregnancy watch now and was not pregnant. I have also had 4 females that I rescued who had lived with males for a few hours to a few days and not a single one was ever pregnant. I always tell people who have these situations not to freak out because it is more like it is "possible" she is pregnant not necessarily a "probable". Stress can keep animals from getting pregnant, so let's hope the situation was stressful enough that it prevented the pregnancy. Just watch her for 72 days and make sure she has everything she needs and hope for the best. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.