Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Chai’s thread

Mamabug

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I have three guinea pigs, Eevee, Eri and Chai. Eevee and Eri are 18 months old and Chai is about 11 months old. A few weeks ago, we suspected that Eri had a URI. I made an appointment for her and as a precaution, I took all three in case the vet needed to look at all of them. Eri turned out to be just fine and so did Eevee. Chai had some sort of respiratory issue that the vet said was not serious. She sent them home with a nebulizing chamber and a prescription that had saline, albuterol and the antibiotic gentamicin. I put all three in there just in case and so Chai wouldn’t be as scared.

Tonight my daughter noticed that every once in a while Chai’s left ear was twitching and she’d tilt her head to the side briefly, then go back to what she was doing. She didn’t seem bothered when I touched her ears but I’ve read that a twitch then a tilt to the side is a sign of an ear infection. The tilt is brief and she doesn’t act like she’s in pain. What has been your experience? Do I need to call the vet tomorrow? There is no emergency vet around that I know of that sees guinea pigs, but my vet is pretty good about working piggies in when they need attention.

I did notice her wipe her nose a time or two but I don’t know if that means anything in itself.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be an ear infection, or it could be mites. You can't see the mites, but if there's a lot of gunk in the ear, that would be a clue that they're the problem.

I'd schedule a regular vet visit and get her checked out.

Mamabug

Cavy Slave
I went ahead and dropped her off at the vet this morning. They didn’t have any appointments available so they’re working her in. I dropped off her cage mates with her so she won’t be as scared and in case the vet thinks they need to be checked too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.