Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Cavys for Animal therapy? Could happen.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
(WARNING--some graphic hospital scenes. Emotionally upsetting content.)(broken link removed)his little guy has a few serious genetic issues. The first page on this blog has him in his hospital bed, with his guinea pig friend <3 It's so sad but so adorable at the same time. I wonder if it's possible to have therapy piggies? I know animals have wonderful healing powers...

That piggie looks like he loves his little boy. :(

I thought I'd share. Figure a fellow piggy family could use our thoughts/prayers right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, I shouldn't have opened this at work.. I cry far too easily! That picture of the little boy with his piggy on his lap eating some veggies is so beautiful.
Many prayers coming his way!

Such a sad story. =(

One thing that guinea pigs have done in our household is become therapy animals for my oldest son. He has childhood speech apraxia. With that almost complete lack of communication comes a lot of frustration and loneliness. He will hold the guinea pigs and talk to them (in his own way) when he's had a bad day or other wise feeling down. The guinea pigs also were able to spark a lot of communication, listening, and empathy skills in him. It was almost impossible to get him to speak before I brought home Eddy Pig. He loves to tell people how to care for them and their names and all the new things that we do with the guinea pigs. He likes to show them off. At this stage of the game with him I am willing to indulge him in whatever gets him excited which is probably how we ended up with 4 guinea pigs! lol My son went from speaking less than 30 words to communicating in broken sentences. I contribute some of that to the guinea pigs.

I have read in different forums about using guinea pigs as autistic therapy animals. The theory is that the children will (broken link removed).

That's one of the reasons why we're adopting piggies here, @Inele_Rabbit. My daughter has high functioning autism (Aspergers) and we're hoping that having an animal will help her develop more empathy/connection with other living things. (With supervision of course!) My husband is allergic to dogs and cats, but not allergic to piggies, so we figure it was a good match for our family. They're intelligent creatures, very cuddly, not bitey. I do plan on seriously supervising her with the pigs, no worries about that, and she can help with the cage maintanence. Cage is in the main den/family room. So they'll be in the center of the house so to speak.

with all due respect, and at the risk of getting blasted back, i was pretty shocked when i opened the link. perhaps there could be some sort of warning - there are lots of pictures, some of which are pretty graphic, not to mention extremely heart-breaking and distressing. there are some people who might not want to see this kind of thing on a web site about guinea pigs. i don't mean to sound cruel, or uncaring. i work with sick and dying patients, adults and children alike, and i like coming here to be involved i something completely different. it was hard to open this link and see these pictures after a long day at work. i'm sorry for this family, and they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. the idea of guinea pigs as therapy animals is a wonderful topic i'm happy to see pursued here. the link was just a little too much for me on a friday afternoon.

I can't edit it now to add a warning I'm sorry :( I would if I could now...I was sort of rushed when I posted it because my husband came n dragged me away for lunch...

with all due respect, and at the risk of getting blasted back, i was pretty shocked when i opened the link. perhaps there could be some sort of warning - there are lots of pictures, some of which are pretty graphic, not to mention extremely heart-breaking and distressing. there are some people who might not want to see this kind of thing on a web site about guinea pigs. i don't mean to sound cruel, or uncaring. i work with sick and dying patients, adults and children alike, and i like coming here to be involved i something completely different. it was hard to open this link and see these pictures after a long day at work. i'm sorry for this family, and they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. the idea of guinea pigs as therapy animals is a wonderful topic i'm happy to see pursued here. the link was just a little too much for me on a friday afternoon.

I hope the guinea pigs work for your daughter they have done wonderful things for my son. His speech therapist and teachers are very impressed with his growing skills and he loves his guinea pigs!

Well, she's been having full blown meltdowns this week due to her upcoming birthday (TODAY!) It was hard. But the piggies came through. Once we manage to get her to stop screaming, we sit her down with a lap pad/towel and sit a piggie on her lap. They instinctually know that they're needed and just sit there and let her pet them. They warble, they rumble a little (purr) they chitter chatter at her...It's worked so well.

It's like they seem to know...very very intuitive animals. Sucks that she can't bring them to school to calm her down. lol. the class isn't big enough for a proper C&C enclosure and it's just a little too late in the year to suggest it to the school. (VERY small school)

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

I am so glad the guinea pigs are working for her. The are wonderful little animals and I think they make great therapy pets. They are so calm and understand it's amazing. My son's favorite guinea pig is Bacon because he just huddles right up next to him. Bacon is very snugly and prefect for a boy that has a hard time communicating.

Sounds like a guinea pig is perfect therapy for your daughter. Animals in general have such a healing effect, and guinea pigs in particular are so adorable and soft and sweet. I was shocked at how quickly my husband, who claims to dislike rodents, fell in love with Mufasa. We only had him two weeks and a day, and hubby still cried like a baby along with me when he died. They can steal anyone's heart, and they're especially good for those with special needs who need a quiet, sweet, accepting animal to bond with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.