Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy with heart failure!!! Need advice!!!

mdl002

Cavy Slave
I have been diligently taking care of two guinea pigs, Sydney and Ella, both of which we purchased from the pet store. And, has been indicated by others, purchasing from the pet store is NOT RECCOMENDED. Ella ended up coming home with an upper respiratory infection and Sydney has epilepsy. However, when it came down to it, we took very good care of them, and both piggies were doing very well!!! We recently even built them one of the double decker cages . . .but I noticed that Sydney was suddenly breathing heavy, using her whole body to breath . . .from there she went down hill, and now you can audibly hear her every breath and the once very affectionate (even the vet was surprised how attached she is to me) piggie now just sleeps under her fleece blanket. We took her to the vet this evening and found out that she has congestive heart failure . . .I was devistated!!!

So here are my questions:
1. Could I have caused this? And if I did, how?

2. what is the best supportive care at this point?

The vet gave her a dieuretic and an injection of baytril and then we are going back to her tomorrow . . .but I am soooo sad and so worried.

She is very young, still under a year old! So this seems so out of place, could this be a result of a genetic defect (along with the epilepsy?)
PLEASE!!! Anyone with any kind words . . .let me know what you know!!!
thanks!

Last edited:
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
I haven't heard of this! any info you have would be sooo helpful . . . i feel so guilty and awful that she is suffering! But I have been doing all that I can! and it just stinks that Sydney (the piggie with the heart problem) is the most attached to me.

looking forward to learning more! thanks for posting!

Lethals don't really have anything to do with this. Any breed of cavy can have heart problems. I believe certain breeds are more prone to heart problems as well.

Mdl002, go to www.guinealynx.info/forums and check out the emergency and medical forum. There are some cavy slaves there that have heart pigs and can give you the best advise in the world and they know exactly what meds your pig needs to be on.

thanks! I have posted something at the emergency and medical forum. . . very helpful so far . . . I still don't know though cause sydney is in really really bad shape

thanks again for your hep though

thank you so much 4 girls . . . I really needed that today .. .I am home with the piggie now, at least trying to give her supportive care till we have the follow up vet visit tonight. I really needed to hear your kind words, because I do feel so awful . . .you know those old questions "what if I had caught it sooner?" "what if I had handled her just a little more carefully?" I know that with this type of condition, the only thing would be a little more time as your vet said, but I do would do jus about anything right now for a few more months!

I do really appreciate your writing! THANK YOU!

no problem Amanda, I was just glad that I had someone to talk to . . . actually, the update from guinea lynx : from lynx specifically, said that she may have pneumonia . . .and that the vet was wrong but I don't know!!! I am just so stressed, and this poor little sydney isn't getting better!

how do you tell the difference between heart failure and pneumonia?

she is weezing . . . very loud, and she coughed a few times yesterday . . .so I am giving her left over antibotics now (at other's suggestion) until I can get a more aggresive therapy into her tonight at the vet

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I just got off the phone with the vet . . .Sydney has passed away. The vet said she was actually mid-bite (had been eating). thank you all for all of your support and help . . .With all of your input, I know that I did all I could for her.

It is just so sad because everyone that met her remarked on how wonderful of guinea she was . . .very affectionate and well-behaved! wow, who new a guinea pig could have such an effect on your life . . .she was so special.

thank you again everyone. I don't think I could have gotten through this without you, and there is still Ella to think about
[/font]

I really want to thank you, 4 girls, your kind words and outreach today really helped me in this worst of all scenerios. Thank you.

the tears are still flowing, but I know that Ella needs a new friend to follow around so I have placed an application for adoption.

It is just so hard, cause all I keep remembering are all the things I loved about Syd and now she isn't here any more. . .I know that she was really suffering and that she no longer is, but that doens't really stop the tears from falling.

But I wanted to let you know how much your words helped me!
thank you

mdl002, you may want to give Ella some time to grieve as well instead of just plopping (a bit of an exageration) another pig in to try to fill the old pigs shoes. I would give her a couple of weeks before you get her a friend. (I did this too)

*hugs* mdl. I am so very sorry to hear that Sydney has passed away. Whether it was heart related or pneumonia, you won't know unless you get her necropsied. I don't believe it was anything that you did or didn't do that caused it. Pigs are exceptionally good at hiding illnesses and sometimes they are very ill before you realize it. Have you had the vet check Ella for a URI (upper respiratory infection) or pneumonia? Those illnesses are contagious and can be passed to other pigs. It would definately be better to be safe than sorry.

I feel if your ready to get another pig then by all means do because by the time the quarantine period is over (3 weeks) then Ella will have had time to grieve.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.