Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Cavy scratching often and fur loss towards rear end

veslex

Cavy Slave
So I just got my Guinea Pig from a Shelter two days ago. He's about eight months old and I notice that he's been scratching himself quite often. Not sure if it's excessively, but I'd say he scratches himself two or three times (on both his left side and right side) every hour or so. I also noticed he has a little bit of hair loss towards his rear end.

I'm taking him to the vet to get him checked up this Saturday, but I wanted some input from other people to see what they think.

You guys know what may possibly be wrong?
Thanks in advance!!

Here's two pictures of the bald spots (it's the pink spot towards the rear end, not the white thing on his head).

Attachments

IMG_0946.jpg IMG_0947.jpg
Hello there ! Excessive scratching and hair loss can usually be attributed to a mite infestation. You can read about it here, below on this beloved link, that we all trust for medical expertise.
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Here is another from the same site, on Invermectin, which is widely considered the best treatment for mites.
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

And here is another, from same site on dosing guidelines.
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

It really sounds like your little man has mites, the only other thing that I could think it might be is a fungal infection, though it seems unlikely. It is great that you have an appointment on Saturday ( is your Vet a cavy savvy Vet ? One whom specializes in exotics ?) however, I wouldn't wait until Saturday...the quicker he gets treated, the better. He's so unbearably uncomfortable, and already has some hair loss. Do you think you would be able to get him in to see your Vet sooner than Saturday ?

Welcome veslex! Kudos to you for adopting your piggie. It is a good thing you are taking him to the vet for a good health check. It doesn sound like mites. Mites are very treatable and several dose of ivemectin usually does the trick.
Kathlaaron has giving you some very good links.
You can buy ivemectin at Wal Mart in the horse section or your local feed store. This is a paste that is used in 250 increments that is watered down and given orally. The GL post will help you with weight and measurments.
Keep us posted to how it goes.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! I moved the appointment from Saturday to today. And I'll check out ivermectin ASAP. I'll let you guys know what happens!

Sorry, for the late reply, but my Guinea Pig is fine now! The exotic Vet said She wasn't sure if he had mites or not (didn't have the appropriate materials to conduct the test since most of their patients are dogs or cats), but she gave him a Revolution drop and I noticed a huge difference. Checkers (my piggie) stopped scratching so often now!

Odd... From my experience, they use microscopes to look at hair samples to check for mites. Doesn't sound much like an exotic vet if they're not prepared for exotic animals. But it's good to hear that your piggy is fine :)

Veslex, that doesn't sound to me like you've got an exotic vet. And there's no definitive test for mites, anyway. About half of them will fluoresce under a black light, but the rest won't. And sometimes you can find them in skin scrapings, but often you can't. So I don't know what kind of test she would perform or what kind of materials she would need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.