Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cavy savvy vet?

• Thread starter guineapigluver1
  • Start date

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I am looking into cavy vets, and am having a hard time, I found one so far, his name is Dr. Huth, does anyone in the NC area know of him, or say why I should/shouldn't go to him?

Also, do guinea pigs need check-ups?

Yeah, typically you should take your piggy to the vet for check-ups just to make sure that everything is fine. And no, I live in MD, so I don't know of that vet.

I think that an initial check-up is a good idea. That way, you can make sure that the pigger has no chronic problems and get to know the vet. I prefer to not have annual check-ups for my pigs after the first one, I save that money in case I have a medical emergency sometime down the road. They dont need vaccinations so I dont really see the need for yearly vet visits. Just my opinion though, maybe someone else will provide a good reason for them.

I don't know if I would be able to do check-ups, because my parents might not be willing to pay if their was an emergency, if they pay for check-ups.....*bites lip* I'll make sure that we are on the same page as far as vet bills go before I get any guinea pigs!

Where in NC are you? I live in NC and my pigs see Dr. Virginia Brown at Dixie Trail Animal Clinic in Raleigh. She comes highly recommended. I don't know anything about the one you mentioned.

I am going to PM you in a second, as I don' think the mods want me to let everyone know where I live...

I don't think that annual checkups are really nessisary, going to the vet can be really stressful for a pig, and it exposes them to an environment where there may be nasties hanging in the air.

Read over the care guide at Guinea lynx. Feed your pigs a healthy mix of veggies, unlimited hay, and weigh them once a week and give them a good look over. That is really the best preventative medicine that you can offer them. Then, if a problem arises, have the money to bring them to a vet.

It is a good idea to have a vet in mind in case something goes on, that way if you have an emergancy, you are not trying to figure out where you are going to bring them, you already know! Also, you should find out how much they charge for an apointment. If you are concerned that your parents are not going to front the cash in an emergancy, you should start saving some $$ now because it is very possible that down the road, you will need a vet. I would suggest putting 100-200 dollars away, but anything is going to help, it will be easier to ask your parents for say, $30.00 then $70.00 for example.

Yeah, I'm starting to put together a notebook full of medical advice and care. I think the vet I found has 24 hour emergency care, too. I'm going to screen them, and if he doesn't work out the search goes on! I have no clue how I'm going to put away that much money, as I don't get allowance! If I explain to my dad, I think he will understand...if he doesn't I will just wait until they either understand, or I have enough money to do that, even if it means waiting a while. :(

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with you guineapigluver1. You are obviously a mature young person!! Most people (even adults) jump right in and get pets without doing research. You are thinking of what is best for the guinea pigs you want to get, and are willing to wait until you have the resources needed. Good for you!!

I have 11 piggies right now (two are fosters) and I don't take them for annual check ups. It would be way too expensive. I check them over once a week when I clean cages. The boys get their sacs cleaned out. Everyone gets weighed. I keep track of weights and any pattern of weight loss will be my first indication if something is wrong. I prefer to save my money for when there is a problem, rather than doing annual check ups.

I totally agree with C&K though - to start putting money aside for vet care when you can (part time job eventually maybe) or to make sure your parents agree that vet care is important and they will provide it as necessary. Many parents don't see guinea pigs in the same light as they might, lets say a dog or a cat. It's wise of you to make sure they understand and will help you treat your piggies the way you want to care for them, before you get the piggies.

Good luck!

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with you guineapigluver1. You are obviously a mature young person!! Most people (even adults) jump right in and get pets without doing research. You are thinking of what is best for the guinea pigs you want to get, and are willing to wait until you have the resources needed. Good for you!!

I agree with clotho! I wish more young people were as responsible about getting a pet as you seem to be. I'm in college, and I know plenty of people my age who wouldn't handle getting a pet as maturely as you. Keep it up! I know eventually you'll make a wonderful piggy mommy. :)

You do sound like a great piggy parent.

Do your homework, find out how much an emergancy appointment, a regular appointment, and treatment for certain common conditions, like a URI are going to cost you at the vets office that you find. (Tell them that you are asking because you want to make sure you plan ahead and can get your pet help if needed down the road.) Then, talk to your parents, having the numbers infront of you, you can educate them by letting them know that guinea pigs can come down with treatable illnesses, and if it is reasonable to expect them to help you down the road should something like this happens, helps.

Then, you will know how urgently you need to save money. My son is 13 and really wanted an x box 360 last year, he saved every dime he got, even if it meant squirreling away the couple of dollars we gave him from time to time to buy a treat at the store. He also does not typically get allowance, but by the end of the year, managed to save over $350.00 I was rather amazed actually. So, it goes to show that it is all about priorities. Even a more modest say, $50.00 will help if indeed, you ever need it.

These are the list of vets that we've had good reports on from adopters (or good dealings with)

(broken link removed)

Is there a place on this site that lists good, cavy savvy vets that people have used for their pigs? Although the site cannot recommend nor check out each vet listed it would be a nice starting point for people to start looking. It would be great if it listed them by state. Ly - is this possible and okay?

Check here pignewton: (broken link removed)

Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty sure I could check them over like you said clotho. I'm going to ask my mom when I can call to screen that vet, and if he doesn't work out, I'm going to be searching for another vet, and ask about the money and all that. Thanks for the link Jenny! I'll check it out. And thanks Clotho, C&K, and wiggley_narco! :) As much as I love animals, if I can't provide vet care for them, I don't want to get any.

Edit- Jenny I found one where we are moving, I'll put her on my list, too.

Last edited:
Okay, so far here is my list of questions:
Can you do an anesthetized dental exam? (Needs to say yes)

What would you prescribe for mites (ivermectin or selamectin, NOT Frontline or sulfur baths)

What types of antibiotics would you prescribe for an upper respiratory infection? (Baytril, Bactrim, or TMZ, NOT any penicillin derivative, as these are toxic to small animals).

Does your clinic have hand-feeding formula such as Oxbow’s Critical Care and could you teach me to hand feed if my pig or rabbit was critically ill? (Needs to say yes)

Can Baytril be used on young pigs? ("We know the answer is that it is not recommended, there are safer alternatives for young pigs.")

What types of foods do you recommend feeding a guinea pig? ("I can't tell you how many vets told me to feed alfalfa on a daily basis!")

Are there any other questions that anyone can think if thaat I need to ask for screening?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.