Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Nuzzler

Dawn Emes

Cavy Slave
Dear Cavy People,

I am completely new to this whole Guinea Pig Forum. I joined because I needed information about how to acquire a bigger cage for our two female guinea pigs, Silly Sophie and Fat Marjorie. Julie at the local veterinary clinic suggested I looked on Cavycages.com in order to buy a suitable cage at a reasonable price so here I am. It has taken me two days to get this far. I have written three messages at different points in attempts to find this mysterious 'thread' thing that I have to use for communication and I think that now I have actually found it.

We (My husband, two adult children and I) have owned guinea pigs for about sixteen years, since our children were small. We moved to Canada from the U.K. just over five years ago and my daughter, who was fifteen at the time, told me that she just 'had to have' another guinea pig as we had given her darling 'Tetley' (a male guinea pig) to a close friend in the U.K. when we moved over here. Thus, we now have Sophie and Marj.

Sophie is long-haired, has white fur with russet tones and Marj. is short-haired, smooth and chubby. We have to bathe Sophie once a month because she gets poo in her fur. She is very athletic and intelligent with a lot of energy. She can leap over her bowl and jump in and out of her cage. She is also very bold and adventurous and goes exploring around the kitchen when let loose. She is also very pretty with an almost feline face. Her fur around her face turns upwards and it looks like fluffy whiskers. Her nose is small and that seems to turn up as well. She seems to like being cuddled and becomes quite calm when stroked, losing her natural tendency to have a lot of nervous energy.

Fat Marj is pudding-shaped and was a 'couch potato' when we bought her as a baby. We blow kissy bubbles on her tummy. We don't blow kissy bubbles on Sophie's tummy because of the poo. Marjorie doesn't know how to jump over her bowl. She seems perplexed by life and follows Sophie around. She does not do anything until Sophie does it. She isn't very happy about being picked up. It is the only time we see her exert any energy as she tries to get away. In the summer when we first put her in the garden, she lifts her back legs once, very slightly, and that is her exercise for the rest of the day. By the end of the summer, she is moving more freely. This is why we need a larger cage for the winter-time so that she will exercise more. We love them so much we want them to be happy and that is why I want a larger cage because they are happy when they can romp about. Even Marj. looks happier out in the garden 'hunting for grass'. I think that when God made guinea pigs he wanted people to have something to laugh and smile at.

Regards,

Dawn

Hi and Welcome to the forums. Be sure to read through the stickies located at the top of each forum as they hold invaluable information on anything from nutrition to cages, bedding to toys.

I would highly suggest brushing Sophie daily and cutting her hair (particularly around her bottom) on a regular basis to stop the poop getting caught in her hair, it cant be very comfortable for her.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I have written three messages at different points in attempts to find this mysterious 'thread' thing that I have to use for communication and I think that now I have actually found it.

You did it! :cheerful: I was completely computer illiterate when we first bought our computer, and I remember well my first experiences of forums, where everything seemed complete gobbildegook, and a post took me forever to type. I haven't speeded up much, but am somewhat more familiar with the world of computers than then (and certainly more knowledgable about the care of cavies)!

I loved reading the descriptions of your guinea pigs. I agree with the above, that life would for sure be more comfortable for Sophie if you were to keep the hair around her bottom short - that way she could enjoy kissy bubbles too. I have one long haired pig, Mellow, and every month or so, give her a haircut, as her hair gets so long, it trails on the ground - picking up litter, and staying wet. If left, she would start to smell, get poo caught, with possible matting and risk scalding form the constant damp of wee.

I use scissors, and adopt several different holds, so as to trim the long hair so that it is shorter than her little legs when she stands. I have also used clippers which are easier to keep the hair on the underneath and inner legs short. She's not thrilled at the process, but she hates baths even more! Do you have pigtures you could share with us of your gorgeous guineas? They sound adorable!

I am thrilled that you are getting a c&c cage for your girls, and am certain that they will be more so! Perhaps even Fat Marj will need a name change, through having more room to roam! Have you had a look in the galleries here? Click on this link to be taken directly there - otherwise you can access them through the blue headings at the top of the page, just under the Cavy Cages logo.

(broken link removed)

(I know I am showing off - I can do links!!!)

Look forward to hearing from you again, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any queries!

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure to take note of the sticky threads on the top of each subforum they are full of info! I'm also going to give you a few links that might help you out you might have seen them but just to be safe I'll give them anyway. First is a link to a page on links then a link to Kleenmama's hayloft the hay there is absulutely great from what I've heard (I don't have piggies yet but I'm getting some soon). I also heard it is cheaper then Oxbrow (another online hay site). I'm afraid I don't much about cages but I'm making one soon. Anyway I hope you are enjoying the forum as much as I am and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

PS. Pigtures are a must!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ost-first.html

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.