Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Cage for Syrian Hamster

crisma1974a

Cavy Slave
I have a guinea pig cage collecting dust. One day we put in our hamster and right in from our eyes, he managed to squeeze out. How can I made the grids smaller/narrower? Can I use hardware cloth or is this too thin and he could chew himself out?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure you can you metal hardware cloth, like the kind they use for bin cages.

lalallama

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about making a C & C cage for my hamster, and I figured I would just make the coroplast walls really high.
Then I read they would chew through the coroplast, which is something I will believe as I had a hamster chew through three of the bars in her cage.

So, are you planning to use coroplast?

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
Overlap the grids?

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Mesh grids, maybe? Whatever you come up with I would like to know. I have a dwarf hamster and I would like to make something of a C&C for her.

crisma1974a

Cavy Slave
I wrapped the cage up with hardware cloth. I used zip ties all around. I will try to upload a picture. George has been in his cage for a week now and we haven't had an "escape" issues. If any of you plan to use hardware cloth, make sure you do the door too. I will try to upload a picture.