Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cavy allergies

oreo33

Cavy Slave
i just wanted to know if it was possible for guinea pigs to be allergic to things such as bedding because i tried using aspen and i think one of my pigs was allergic because she had a runny nose and sneezed and occasionally iched or twiched, but my other pigs were purfectly fine and she always did good with carefresh. Can they be allergic to anything else.

you know i use aspen and mine sneezed alot and stuff after that maybe i should go and try care fresh well the wal-mart brand

ive heard of piggies being allergic to certain kinds of hay.

yes they can be allergic. if your piggie had discharge coming out of its nose, you should see a vet because it could be an early sign of a URI.

whats a uri (im not smart lol)

I've known some pigs to be allergic to stuff, just like dogs.

URI = Upper Respiratory Infection.

oo ya i forgot thanks
what kind of hays are there they i could try

Timothy Hay, Alfalfa(1 year and below), Meadow hay, grass hay, and I'm not sure if there are more. (broken link removed)

They *can* be allergic, but more than likely it's just the amount of dust in the bedding and/or hay. A recent cleaning could have stirred things up, or some new hay. It could be a problem besides just the bedding, however. If you suspect anything is wrong, please take your cavy to the vet. Thanks for asking!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.