Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cat Pee Smell (Question from a non cat owner)

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
So I went to a friends last night, evidently my wool pea coat fell off the hook it was hanging on and their male cat took the time to claim it as his.

The coat is already at the dry cleaners, but my entire apartment is still smelling. I tried febreeze air freshener but the stink is lingering. I'm going to try to open up the windows if it warms up a bit. Anyone else have ideas about getting rid of the smell?

I think I'm going to stick with pigs and dogs (they destroy things in different ways). lol

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Set out a bowl of vinegar. It absorbs odors.
Baking soda also absorbs odors.
We once had a cat who, even though he was neutered, peed on everything he could. Beds, notebooks clothes etc. And we would wash the clothes and bedding with vinegar and baking soda, and the smell would be gone. We also sprinkled baking soda, or set a box of it out to absorb the odor. Same with vinegar.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Well thanks to the pigs, I buy vinegar by the gallon. I'll try that.

Think building a fire would help?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
It might, but it might not. You could always try it. It's really difficult to get rid of the smell.
Building a fire might mask the smell for now, if anything.
We buy vinegar by the gallon too. We use it for everything: cleaning, laundry, killing weeds etc.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Ugh, just be prepared that, while vinegar is the best option, there is a chance that you will associate the smell of vinegar with the smell of cat pee for the rest of your life, like I do.

My aunt bought a house "as-is" a long, long time ago, and the previous owner had 27 cats before moving out. There's only so much a few bowls of vinegar can do against that much cat pee in a hallway. :(

babybunny

Cavy Slave
There is a product called Pets N Kids, that works wonders for odors as well.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone, my apartment is back to semi-normal oder levels (but it's cold in here now). I just hope my coat can recover.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
There is this stuff called liquid alive. There are also generics that work just as good. The label will say cleans body fluids, vomit etc. It is an enzyme that will eat the pee out of your coat. You just put it on the coat and let it sit for a few days. Good as new. You find it a janitorial supply store.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
My parents had good luck with Nature's Miracle when their old dog became incontinent.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I used Nature's Promise when my dog was a puppy as well. It worked wonders, although I'm glad our need for it has passed!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.