Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cat food...

WildRye

Cavy Slave
I personally feed Wellness (dry), at the moment. I would love to switch my cat to raw/BARF when I move and no longer have my roommate's cat to consider. I found this site to be really helpful to get a start on things. Obviously, I'll be doing more reading, starting with the books she suggests, before I make any firm decisions.

Cat Nutrition.Org

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I personally feed Wellness (dry), at the moment. I would love to switch my cat to raw/BARF when I move and no longer have my roommate's cat to consider. I found this site to be really helpful to get a start on things. Obviously, I'll be doing more reading, starting with the books she suggests, before I make any firm decisions.

Cat Nutrition.Org

I would totally recommend Wellness wet as well.

One of the big problems with a dry food diet is that it dehydrates the animal and that leads to some of the chronic conditions we see in domesticated cats and dogs. Cat's bodies just are not made to digest that much dry food even after all these generations of kibble fed cats.

It kinda goes against old school vet teachings (which is that wet food is for kittens and should be limited in adult cats) but it we noticed a huge differance in my senior cat when we did things the other way around - giving her a larger portion of her diet in wet and limiting the dry food.

WildRye

Cavy Slave
JD - thanks for the recommendation. I will look into that as well, though I'm not sure where I'll be able to find it.

My sweet kitty is not quite two years old, but suffers from chronic soft stools and occasional diarrhea. I am very concerned about dehydration with her, both because of the stool and the dry food issue. Plus, she won't drink out of a bowl (clean, filled with filtered water), and chooses to only drink out of the sink or bathtub. Perhaps wet food would be the answer for her right now.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Another thing you should consider is whether or not your cat would even eat a raw diet. Cats being the picky eaters that they are, might make it a challenge to switch up his diet that way.

I know for an absolute fact he will eat it. He likes to steal raw meat. He gobbles it all up, and then whines for more :).

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Merrick and Wellness are brands I've trusted for years and have no reservations recommending to anyone.

I have Looked into wellness, and there has been a few instances where cats have gotten their struvite crystals back when eating it??

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I got some new food today... It's called, natures variety homestyle from the prairie. I have the duck one, the beef one, and the turkey one. I got it from pet valu.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.