Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh CareFresh v.s. Aspen (and v.s. Wood Pellets I Guess...)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I am going to make Ginger's upper level her "kitchen area" and right now I'm using fleece ,but think I'm going to change to either carefresh, aspen, or wood pellets. (Still keeping fleece on the main level though, I love fleece, just not in the kitchen area lol) I know a con to each. Carefresh=expensive, Aspen=messy, and Wood Pellets=seasonal, and hard to find. (Well for me anyway...) What do you guys think? Oh, and what is the easiest to spot clean? I think wood pellets is the hardest (I've used them before) because the crumble up when wet so you end up having to empty out the whole thing...

Thanks! :)

I always use aspen because it's cheap and comes in bulk. It's somewhat easy to spot clean. Kind of hard to find the pee spots because aspen is good at absorbing the urine so sometimes it's hard to find those spots. I know where my pig poops and pees so I scoop in that area. Never liked Carefresh (dusty and expensive) or fleece (stunk so bad). Never tried wood pellets though.

Just a quick note about pellets. Some fuel pellets are made with hardwoods that are both not absorbent and not great for some animal species. Make sure to buy pine or aspen pellets intended for bedding use. There is a difference!

Have you ever tried Kaytee clean and cozy? I know Kaytee isn't exactly known for quality products, however i've been using this stuff in my litter boxes and will never go back to aspen or carefresh. It is great for odor control, has zero dust, and it does not make a giant mess like aspen. I buy it at my local pet store, but I'm sure they carry it at the big box pet stores as well. It's fairly new product and it runs about $11-15 for the large bag. I buy a small bag for my litter boxes and to clean my hamster cages and it lasts me about 2 weeks because it expands so much.

I love Carefresh, in large part because it's so easy to spot clean. Any kind of wood chips play havoc with my allergies, but I don't find the white Carefresh to be dusty and it's easy to see the spots that need to be cleaned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.