Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Care for a newly solitary boy

janeeyre316

Cavy Slave
My five year old girl guinea pig died this evening very suddenly (I think heart attack). I have a five year old neutered boy named Falstaff who is now all alone. Unfortunately, I'm getting to the point where I need to take a break from guinea pigs for a while, so I'm not planning on getting him a friend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to enrich his remaining months/years? My job is extremely demanding, so I am not home a great deal.

I'd say just try and give him tons of handling, love, and attention. Also try to enrich his life by mixing things up, different toys, veggies, tons of floor time, etc. But nothing really beats a friend. Him just having a lot of attention from you is like a human just having a dog but never getting to be with another human. It's really not good for him.

have you considered adopting an older pig so that the two of them can keep each other company in their "golden" years? here are lots of "senior" pigs looking for a home ❤️

I'm very sorry for your loss.

You could fostering for a rescue so your lone pig can have a friend.

Look on petfinder.com for rescues in your area.

I'm sorry for your loss. Are you able to bring any of your work from home? That would enable you to be home more, even if you're busy. Otherwise, I think fostering would be the best answer.

I hadn't thought about fostering; I've contacted a shelter and hopefully will find someone that will fit his personality. In the meantime, any other suggestions you all have would be much appreciated!

I work in a lab, so taking work home is a bit difficult (and dangerous). :D Fostering is a great idea, I'm looking into it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.