Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Can't tell what she is saying...? and one more question...

zabelly

Cavy Slave
I've had my little girl for three days now and I thought that when I petted/scratched her bum very gently she was purring in a good way. Now I'm not quite sure... Her voice in general is high pitched so I'm having a hard time discerning what is a happy purr and a discontented burr. Is there any other sign I can look for in her behavior that will help me decide if she is happy or if she is annoyed?

Also, she is kinda sneezing... It's not a full out sneeze and it doesn't happen frequently but she pushes air out her nose kinda like a snort but not as forceful. She has no discharge or crust anywhere. She is alert and does runs round, eat and drink normally (for what I can tell for only having her for three days). Should I be concerned? Or is this something that guinea pigs just do?

Many, if not most guinea pigs don't like having their rear end messed with. So I am thinking it's probably a "would you please stop that" kind of noise.

The "snort" doesn't sound like a normal sound. Weigh her daily and if she's losing any weight she most likely needs to see a vet.

Thanks for the quick reply, foggycreekcavy. I found this video on youtube and this is exactly what Cheri does (the almost sneeze type sound described in my original post)... Guinea pig sneezing - YouTube
Is that really a sneeze? Or should I still take her to the vet? I've only had her for three days so I'm still learning all her sounds. I just don't want to over look an early warning sign if I can help it...

The exact sound is at :44 and repeated at :47

I think it's always a good idea to take a new guinea pig in for a well check. They'll check their teeth, lungs, heart etc. and might even show you how to clip the nails.

Sounds like it. What type of bedding do you have?? If you use woodchips, are they baught from a petstore, and made specifically for them? If not, buy it. Normal woodchips from a sawmill or anywhere else contains alot of dust, causing sneezes. Also, her food might be a bit dusty, or just plain dust might be floating around.

Her bedding is made of wood chips from a pet store. And her food is mixed with hay, so I suppose the food could be making her sneeze. I do think I will bring both girls in for a check up. Just out of curiosity generally how much does a check up cost?

Not too sure, but in Australia, about $20. Try puttong in some pellets for a while, and remove the hey, and see if your pig stops sneezing.

General thank you to all who have posted! I appreciate all the help :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.