Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Can't get them because of distance.

Piggie Mom

Cavy Slave
Found a rescue with a bonded pair of females. We have been chatting back and forth for a while and I was getting ready to do the play date only to find out we are actually 3hrs away from each other. :( Her car isn't able to make the trip and my husband has to keep our car all day because he works more than one job every day. I would not be able to drop him off and pick him up in time to get to his other job. I am so sad, I got all excited and so was she because they are a little older and haven't had a good forever home besides the rescue. :( I wish I could get them but I can't, so now I am back on the look for a companion for Tiger Lily. :( (Petunia passed so I have been looking)

Post an ad on Craigslist. I'll bet you'll get some responses. If you get responses, you'll be able to tell if it's a breeder by asking questions about how long they've had them, etc.

I've found piggies on craigslist. They want $100 a piece. :(

Keep looking. You'll find some more.

Have you tried petfinder?

Yes I have. That's where I found the rescue. She is the nearest one. :(

Do you have a friend that could drive you (offer to reimburse gas money +take them out to lunch)? Or, is there a decent transit system? (I live in vancouver and got my one pig out in surrey, but the previous owner was willing to meet me at a skytrain station since I have no car. My other pig is from Vancouver Island and came back with me over a ferry, skytrain, bus! They don't enjoy the travel per se, but both of mine got over it pretty quickly.)

No family or friends nearby. Nearest one is my 72 year old grandmother and she lives two hours away. If someone was close by I would gladly pay for a ride. If my husband wasn't at work from 6am to 11pm I would be able to drive myself.

She just emailed me back and said they have to transfer a dog to TN and will have to rent a car then, so she may be able to meet then. Fingers crossed.

You could get a male and have him neutered

I prefer to just have females. I would hate to put such a small animal through that.

Foggycreekcavy, Alabama seems to be a dead zone for rescuers and shelters. If you go to Petfinder and put in just Alabama for the location, you get hits in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee, but almost none in Alabama. Someone needs to start a good rescue there!

Yeah, it is a dead zone. I've put in at all local shelters that if someone brings one in to call me. And I am still working with the lady from the rescue. She is trying to find a way to get them to me. She is calling shelters and people she knows nearby. I think she is starting a piggy train. :) I don't know anyone here or I would help. If I had unlimited funds I would start a rescue.

And the other issue is a lot of the rescues in other states will not work with you. I do understand why though. Many pigs cannot handle the shock of traveling for hours and being put in an unfamiliar place. Its hard on them.

Pigs usually travel quite well, though.

Neuters are not very invasive surgeries and they go very well a majority of the time. You wouldn't be putting a pig through much more than a simple surgery and providing it with a loving forever home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.