Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Cannot find somewhere to adopt a cavy. Help!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I have looked for 4 hours for a shelter/rescue etc that adopts out cavys but cannot find any. The local places only rescue dogs and cats and the occassional rabbit. I checked GuineaPigZone, actual cavy rescues and nothing.

While I have had some animals through the years, never a guinea pig. Now I want to share their cuteness with my 5 1/2 old son. Where can I get one?
I live in southeastern Michigan.

Well, I want actually two but have a lead on one. There is ONE cavy at a human society but the only other place is the pet store.

I know about ethical adoption and animal mills etc, but what do you do if there aren't any around?:headache:

Have you looked on Craigslist and Kijiji? If you have pet stores in your area, those sites are almost sure to have unwanted pigs that people bought for kids and don't want to care for anymore. Search "pig" rather than "Guinea pig" since people tend to misspell that. I got one of my own pigs via Craiglist. Just beware of breeders who pretend they're not. Good luck in your search!

What about adopting the one from the humane society? He/she really needs a home and probably won't be given much time to find one. Then you can spend your time looking for a friend. :)

@lemonham - I do want the one from the Society, she is pretty. I worried that one alone would be too upsetting for her. Is it ok to have just one for a bit?

@mufasa - I must be honest; I don't trust Craigslist. Too many scammers, plus I dont want to go to some weird strangers house. Never heard of kijiji, but can look for it and I will look for ads at the pet store.

@Kelly9 I'm from West Michigan, so I understand your plight, but there are a few guinea pigs available. If you can't get them from Michigan, try looking around WI/IL/OH areas. You will probably be able to get a pet train to meet you, if you have to adopt further afield, just by posting a thread about it. Lots of people are willing to help a guinea pig find a good home. Be aware that the individual/shelter responsible for the pet will need to be in agreement with you about a pet train however.

Here are a few links I've found to shelters in our state.

West Michigan Critter Haven
                  West Michigan Critter Haven                    A Chapter of the House Rabbit Society - Adoptables

Great MI RR (pet train with piggies for adoption; I think she's basically a foster home)
Susans Guinea Pigs The Great Michigan Rescue Railroad

Humane Society of West MI
Humane Society of West Michigan

MI Humane Society
Michigan Humane Society

Romeo Animal Placement
romeoanimalplacement
Romeo Animal Placement | Facebook

Also, as @mufasa said, check Craig's List. I've found a few on there as well.

For the number of rescues in Michigan, there really aren't that many guinea pigs. Most rescues in this state that have guinea pigs also have other animals they devote time and resources too. That does not make them unavailable, however. They do exist, just takes a little more fancy footwork for us to be able to find them. :)

@Kelly9 It's all right for a piggy to be alone for a while until you can find another. They can survive as singles, but should really have a buddy whenever/wherever possible.

Oh! And I forgot to mention Petfinder! Select small animal- type in guinea pig- type in your zip code and hit enter. Then, when the search comes up, you can narrow it by selecting "100 mile radius". Good luck!

Self Edit: Also, about CL, if you don't feel comfortable going to someone's home, ask if they'll meet you in a public, neutral location. Be aware of breeders and trust your gut instinct, of course, but there are safe ways to go about meeting someone for an exchange from CL.

Kijiji is like Craigslist, but owned by eBay. I tend to be leery of Craigslist, too, but with Amy I went with my gut. I knew the town, even though it was about an hour away, and went with my husband after having a long conversation with her owner. I kind of liked seeing the house she came from and knowing more of her background than I did when getting Borat from the shelter. I don't blame you for being cautious, though. The scammers are there in droves too.

@mufasa - I must be honest; I don't trust Craigslist. Too many scammers, plus I dont want to go to some weird strangers house. Never heard of kijiji, but can look for it and I will look for ads at the pet store.

@CritterLuvva - I did use petfinder and there is nothing for over 100 miles! Can you believe it? But thanks for helping!

ok, so my son and I just think this girl pig is super cute so we will go to the shelter to get her and then keep looking around for another girl. Her name is cupcake and my son likes that :)

So, does a train mean that I get a pig from your side of the state and the people will sort of "pass her along" until she is closer to my area and then I meet someone to pick her up?

@Kelly9 I'm from West Michigan, so I understand your plight, but there are a few guinea pigs available. If you can't get them from Michigan, try looking around WI/IL/OH areas. You will probably be able to get a pet train to meet you, if you have to adopt further afield, just by posting a thread about it. Lots of people are willing to help a guinea pig find a good home. Be aware that the individual/shelter responsible for the pet will need to be in agreement with you about a pet train however.

Here are a few links I've found to shelters in our state.

West Michigan Critter Haven
West Michigan Critter Haven A Chapter of the House Rabbit Society - Adoptables

Great MI RR (pet train with piggies for adoption; I think she's basically a foster home)
Susans Guinea Pigs The Great Michigan Rescue Railroad

Humane Society of West MI
Humane Society of West Michigan

MI Humane Society
Michigan Humane Society

Romeo Animal Placement
romeoanimalplacement
Romeo Animal Placement | Facebook

Also, as @mufasa said, check Craig's List. I've found a few on there as well.

For the number of rescues in Michigan, there really aren't that many guinea pigs. Most rescues in this state that have guinea pigs also have other animals they devote time and resources too. That does not make them unavailable, however. They do exist, just takes a little more fancy footwork for us to be able to find them. :)

It is fine to have one for a while. I had Eleanor almost 3 or 4 months before I was able to adopt Penelope. She was lonely but at least she had a safe and loving home. :)

So, does a train mean that I get a pig from your side of the state and the people will sort of "pass her along" until she is closer to my area and then I meet someone to pick her up?

Yes, that way you don't have to travel too long and you don't have to go to a pet store. The piggy can also get a break on a long trip, too.

I would encourage you to look close to home first, though it looks like you're trying hard to. If you reach out to one of the rescues in your area that is within 2-3 hours of you, they may have a foster that is actually closer to you than the main address of the rescue. They also might be willing to meet you in the middle, so that you would only have to travel, say, 50 miles out instead of 100 miles.

@CritterLuvva - I did use petfinder and there is nothing for over 100 miles! Can you believe it? But thanks for helping!

@(broken link removed) I'm from West Michigan

For the number of rescues in Michigan, there really aren't that many guinea pigs... They do exist, just takes a little more fancy footwork for us to be able to find them. :)

I'm not talking about just West Michigan here. I'm talking about all of Michigan. Yes, it is hard to find rescues in this state. I know that. I said as much. I'm almost bald from trying to find piggies myself. (Ok, not really, but you get my meaning.)

When I was starting out on this forum, I asked members to give me references too. Most of the references were from outside the state. When your criteria doesn't fit, widen your search perimeter. I think the people from the West Michigan Rail Road (aka pet train) are fostering piggies from Illinois.

Pet trains are volunteers who transport animals, by truck/car/van/etc, to rescues and sometimes foster homes. There are piggies in rescues that are literally dying because no one will take them home. I bet private parties (can't have pets any more for time/allergies/whatever) and kill rescues (who would rather see animals placed) would be willing to work with a pet train to get you guinea pigs. Talk to them about it, apply, then post on the forums that you need a pet train. Do not limit yourself to our state- you'll go bald too! :D

When I discovered what kind of state Michigan is where piggies are concerned (next to non-existent) and that I could use pet trains to get critters to Michigan (and someone was kind enough to volunteer pet train services), I extended my perimeter from my immediate area to states this side of the Mississippi. Thanks to the good people of this forum, I was able to widen my search field and find several more guinea pigs that otherwise may have been off limits to me.

This being said, I'm more in the research mode then searching. We have to be sure of our income first before we can adopt, but this is how I intend to adopt piggies. I hope you find the piggies waiting for you. :)

@CritterLuvva - Thank you for such good info! I was going to go bald finding one! lol I did drive 25 miles to a Human Society for a girl pig!!!!! :D We picked her up today.

I looked at their site and thought she was so pretty, but I wanted two. Thanks to THIS site and the people helping me, I went for it! My son and I are so happy. Even Daddy, who only likes pets that are in other people's homes, thinks she is not too bad. She is a white and beige (?) smooth hair.

Now, I am looking for a girl smooth hair to match. Oh, and pictures will follow as soon as I can load them up. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Thank you for making me feel a bit better. (don't want her lonely) She does have a good home. she was in her own cage at the Humane Society anyway. those are such cute names.

Ours is named cupcake and we are keeping the name. Otherwise the 5 year old wanted Button or Guinney. lol

It is fine to have one for a while. I had Eleanor almost 3 or 4 months before I was able to adopt Penelope. She was lonely but at least she had a safe and loving home. :)

No problem. I don't know how many volunteers are available in Michigan, but the Great MI RR might be able to help you get another piggy. They are, after all, volunteers. :)

Also, make sure the place you adopted her from knows you're looking for a buddy for her. They might be able to help you as well.

Congrats on the new piggy and good luck on your continued search! Ooh! And every one will want pigtures! :D

Cupcake is a great name! She's super lucky to have a new family! :)

That is awesome!! We adopted Fella as a single guy and waited until the right pig came along to get him a friend, which took about 7 months. He was perfectly fine...we just made sure to give him plenty of love and attention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.