Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Can you give guiniea pigs lettuce from a salad from McDonalds

missbunnyminaj

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok, I called my moms phone and asked her to buy me some lettuce and she came home with a salad from McDonalds. Yea, she didnt order it with the chese and meat and drressing but I told her that thiis isnt right for guiniea pigs! Am I right or is she right because she made me mad!:mad:

The lettuce from McDonald's is fine if it isn't iceberg lettuce and doesn't have dressing on it.

Probably not a good idea. I believe most of their salads contain iceberg lettuce.

Mcdonalds salad is normally made with iceburg! If it isn't iceburg lettuce then it's okay, but if it is then they really shouldn't have it.

is there a way to tell if its iceburg or reglar?

Iceberg is usually light green to whitish in color. It may seem a little thick and very wet.

I wouldn't there is no real way to tell if it is ice berg or not, so it's not safe to give your pigs.

@PigPandemonium, iceberg isn't dangerous for pigs. It just has no nutritional value, so is useless as a food. But it won't hurt them as long as it's well washed.

Thanks guys! I called McDonals customer service and they said the letuce is made from 14 varieties, but I only gave them the green parts of the lettuce

@PigPandemonium , iceberg isn't dangerous for pigs. It just has no nutritional value, so is useless as a food. But it won't hurt them as long as it's well washed.

Oh, never knew that, someone told me that it was bad because it's really a cabbage or something like that and it's slightly poisonous, have no idea who told me that before. xD I just meant that it wouldn't be good to give since she can't tell what's in it.

Guinea pigs need a cup of veggies per day. Buying a salad from McDonald's will probably only feed your guinea pig for a day.

Oh, never knew that, someone told me that it was bad because it's really a cabbage or something like that and it's slightly poisonous, have no idea who told me that before. xD I just meant that it wouldn't be good to give since she can't tell what's in it.

Iceberg lettuce is mostly water and can cause diarrhea or really loose droppings so I wouldn't feed any to them.

I agree No iceburg lettuce for piggies along with no tomatoes, potatoes. I am glad you called McDonalds and they had some food at least for 1 day. Pretty expensive though for a bowl of lettuce.

@Larissa Actually, to correct you, grape tomatoes are fine for guinea pigs.

Tomatoes are fine, potatoes (the Irish variety, not sweet ones) are not. They can have small chunks of sweet ones.

My piggy will not go near a tomato, so i don't give her any also i read that they can be very acidic. I will try to give her a grape tomato though. I heard raw potatoes not sweet potatoes were like poison to piggies so i don't give her any potatoes why take a risk? there are many other veggies she loves.

I suggest if you are going to try give her a grape tomato, to cut it open first, my pigs won't eat them unless they are cut in half, and make sure not to give too much, as they are just like all fruits (Peppers being the one exception I think) in that they are acidic (As you said) and can cause mouth soars if you feed too much.

why exactly is iceberg lettus bad for guinea pigs? is there something in it or not enough vitamins or what.

There's no nutrition in iceberg lettuce -- it's just crunchy water. You need to feed another variety so that they get the vitamins and minerals they need. Red and green leaf lettuces are good choices. Romaine works for some pigs, but others will have problems with excess calcium in the urine if they're fed romaine. There are other varieties they can eat, but they tend to be more expensive at the grocery store, so most people stick with those three.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.