Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can we hold him TOO much?

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Okay you can tell I'm new. lol He's really my daughter's GP. We had a dog that we lost in November to cancer. He was ten. She'd taken excellent care of the dog. He had lots of medical issues and had to be bathed weekly and though she's just twelve, she would help me bathe him and she fed him every single night without reminding. She's the youngest of three and I am big on being responsible. At any rate, the dog was her pet and when he died, she begged for a GP and I finally agreed, despite not really wanting to get another animal. Well, we got him and and he's already very spoiled. He loves to be held. But he's just a baby and I worry that we may be holding him too much, you know like they say not to hold puppies too much. He is gaining weight and eats all his food. I have unlimited hay out and make sure he gets a nice salad after our dinner each night. He also has pellets. He runs around the cage, a nice big 2x4 and will come to the edge when you come to it for you to pick him up so he definitely doesn't mind being held. When we hold him, he purrs. She sits in the recliner and reads a book and he sits on her shoulder. She will feed him hay or he'll just nap.

If it's okay that we hold him this much then I am certainly fine with her doing it. She's incredibly gentle with him. I also have two older children and they love to cuddle with him too. He loves them as well, so you see he gets held a lot.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Cuddle away, it's no problem! They'll let you know if they've had enough.

I would really suggest getting him a same sex buddy, too, though. They're even more fun (and they have even more fun) in pairs, and they won't love you or your kids any less.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
We've had our guys for almost two weeks and they enjoy our "lap time." My husband was laughing at Gizmo tonight because he was sitting on my lap extremely relaxed, with his back leg kicked out behind him.

Later on he fell asleep when my husband held him and he fell asleep!!

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
We've only had him a few weeks and I've been trying to get his cage set up, between freak snow storms and my work schedule. I am also trying to get him through quarantine before I bring in another pig. I wasn't sure I was ready for another animal. Our dog was high maintenance and I was ready to not have any animals, so to go from that to two is a really big step. I want to be sure that I am ready for the care and attention of a second pig before I take it on, even if they will be happier together, before I do so. Better to make that decision now, than get the animal and realize I've made a big mistake.

lulubird6

Cavy Slave
I think many here will tell you that extra vet bills and cage space aside, two is not much more work than one. It's a little extra food and a little extra cuddle time. Sounds like you have plenty of cuddlers in your house so not a problem there!:)

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Lulubird,
The vet bills are my main worry. I don't want to deny one of them care because I can't afford it. I have two cuddlers in college.:eek:hmy: And for the next four years money will be tight. Plus with the two cuddlers in college, they will slowly be going away more and more, leaving me with just one cuddler and two pigs.

I'm not ruling it out. I just want to be sure I am making the best choice. And I haven't seen any GPs around here either. I want to be sure that we can care for the one we have, and know that we have the knowledge to give him/them what they need and if I can find one then we will see about adding on. I know it would be good for him to have a friend.

Our dog was a very sick dog for a very long time and I think I'm just a little gun shy.

Yelena

Cavy Slave
Its understandable that your worried about caring for the pigs. Your worry shows that you do care though I do hope your able to get it a pall as soon as possible.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Piggie's love affection! I think as long as he's not making clear he want down, then cuddle and kisses away! Socialization is very important to baby animal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.