Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

can u pelase help me?

ILovePiggies

Cavy Slave
~ My pig doesnt like to be picked up anymore by anyone anytime anywhere. She nip/bites (It doesnt really really hurt or draw blood or anything) I dont know why. ive tryed picking her up in like a cozie and thats fine but shes not fine with a towel or hands. I was told to yell at her and bop her on the nose when she bites me but it just made her so scared and I felt awfull!!!! i tryed being really slow and nice but still no. Ive tried with treats and she stops squeaking for a bit but then as soon as she eats it shes freaking out again!! please can anyone help me before this gets really bad!!! thanks~ ~c~

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i think it must be mites. when you rub her skin, it really must hurt so she nips. when you pick them up in a cozy, it probably doesnt hurt as much because there is no direct contact. I would get her to the vet right away!!!

who in heavens name told you to scream at her and bop her on the nose???????? The poor dear is probably in an extreme amount of pain!!! Again, to the vet. And i hope the poor girl is better soon!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I thought I said it, but I forgot i guess so here goes. kudos to you for wanting to help your piggy, and not taking the bop on nose advice

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
They dont associate the punishment with what they did. Try giving her a treat so her mouth is full when you go to pick her up. And take her the vet just to be sure.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Have a look at this page https://www.cavyspirit.com/biting.htm - explains all the possible reasons they may bite, and how to help them so they don't want to, or feel they need to. Guinea pigs only really bite because they're in pain or frightened and hurting and scaring them just makes it all worse, so I'm glad you recognised that was dud advice fairly quickly.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm also glad to hear that you ditched the yelling and bopping advice. Whoever told you that obviously had no idea, and I'm really glad you figured that one out. They don't associate your treatment with their behavior; all they know is that there is a strange, large animal scaring them and hitting them. They have no idea why.

It very well could be mites or some other medical problem, so you may want to look into getting a vet's appointment if you're unsure. Check out Treen's link, it's very informative.

ILovePiggies

Cavy Slave
~Woah theres alot of reasons there!! I really really hope its not mites =S! but I'll try to figure out if its anything else...man I felt bad after yelling at her. I can't believe I belived that nose bopping thing too. She looked so scared I seriously almost cried at how stupid I was! Does anyone know how much it costs to bring a pig to a vet for a check up? Thanks =)~ ~c~

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
It dosen't matter how much a vet costs as long as you want to save her (!life!) possibly! You should definately get to a vet no matter the price.

liluqt

Cavy Slave
The price for a check-up varies from place to place and if they suspect it's mites, they'll do a skin scraping to test for it. When I suspected my pigs had mites, I called around to every single vet 15 miles and the prices for a check up ranged from $23 to $50 and the prices for skin scrapings were priced differently, too. I dragged all 3 of my piggers when I noticed that their skin was sensitive to the touch and small bald patches on their back. They didn't want to interact as much with me anymore and got agitated very easily, but it is definately something worth checking out. They got two rounds of ivermectin shots and now they're much better and their hair is growing back. And if you've never taken your piggie to the vet, it's worth the trip regardless. I believe all piggies should have a check up :) To help fund the cost of our vet visits, my boyfriend sold his playstation 2 to pitch in. I agree with RubyPiggie, no price can be put on a piggie's health!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
It varies from place to place, sometimes wildly! Just find a knowledgable veterinarian, and hope for the best. If you know of more than one, you can do a price check. It's not too much just for a checkup, usually between $10 and $30, depending on where you go and what's being checked.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Please don't get a skin scraping. Just get ivermectin.

liluqt

Cavy Slave
My vet refused to give ivermectin without closer inspection to see if it was really mites as he didn't want to randomly inject the pigs for nothing. The skin scraping was a necessity for me since I went through a vet. I suppose if you got ahold of ivermectin yourself and self-diagnosed, then you could overlook that step..

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You should really make sure that it *is* mites before you do anything. If it's not, you could just be giving the cavy the wrong thing, and it won't help any. In fact, the original problem would just go untreated for longer.

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
hows your piggy doing? were you able to take her to a vet?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Any updates at all?

ILovePiggies

Cavy Slave
roosterboy said:
Watch the behavior of your piggy. If it is not scratching and fidgeting, it probably does not have mites. If its behavior in the cage has not changed, it does not have mites, and the problem is outside of the cage, and probably walking on two feet.

~Hi sorry for the long time no speak thing. My computer is really messed up.
My friend and I have concluded that we really doubt it is mites! Thank goddness. Umm Pearls better with the bitting thing weve decided she is hand shy, like how dogs get when you hit them =| Kind of sad! Um rosterboy, I dont get your last sentance? lol, oh wait maybe I get it? do you mean im the problem lol? Sigh maybe I am. But you know something really cute!!! Playing classical music puts your piggy to sleep!!! =) It calmed Pearl down alot she went to sleep.heehee. On the website it said maybe she didn't have a big enough cage, guess what if that could have been the problem it wont be anymore becasue for christmas were might buy her a bigger cage. Yeah haha I think you can tell im not to worried anymore...all thanks to you guys for telling me what to do =D Thanks.~ ~c~

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
dont buy a biger cage make one!!

ILovePiggies

Cavy Slave
~oops haha do you mean c&c cuse thats what I ment *grin* bye~ ~c~

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.