Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General can someone explain what a "roan" is?

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what a "roan" guinea pig was exactly. I know that if they are bred they could produce lethal babies (which is not a good thing) but do they themselves have any significant health issues to be aware of or to watch out for?

Roan is a hair color, white mixed in with other colors, not just white patches. And no, they don't have any other health problems.

(broken link removed)

I did google it, but I thought I'd get a better answer from people that know what they're talking about. Google tends to lead you to sites that provide you with not so great information (like "a store bought guinea pig cage is the best" or "feed your guinea pig this crap food" or "iceburg lettuce is just fine"...

Bpatters just gave away my secret, drat!

If you need a visual, search merle collie, the coloring of their coats is similar to a roan. And I find it no coincidence that dogs homozygous for the merle gene also have microphthalmia and auditory issues. With how difficult lethal pigs are to care for, I can only imagine what these dogs would be like.

Hmm...I think breeders used to drown merle great dane pups at one time because they were thought "undesirable"...sad, really. Thanks to both of you!

"The (broken link removed) of (broken link removed) is linked to (broken link removed)."

This is from wikipedia...not sure how accurate it is though. I will do more research later.

"The (broken link removed) of (broken link removed) is linked to (broken link removed)."

This is from wikipedia...not sure how accurate it is though. I will do more research later.

Oh, it definitely is, along with auditory deficiencies, dentation issues, etc. The issues arise when a guinea pig is homozygous (has two matching copies) for the roan gene.

I think you could probably tell a decent answer about roan coloring easier than one about lettuce. Wikipedia is usually a pretty good source.

And if you've already googled something, you could post what you found and ask for verification. That makes it much easier on the people answering you.

lol I got a kick of the "let me google it for you" hhaa

@bpatters: I will keep that in mind next time. At the moment I posted the initial question I didn't have time to weed through google to find an answer to a specific question and, knowing that there are knowledgable people here that answer fairly quickly, I figured I'd probably get an answer here faster than one on google.

On Wikipedia, anybody can change information. It actually isn't a good source, but their sources are usually good sources. College writing professors won't let you use Wikipedia as a source but they will accept sources you found on Wikipedia (does that make sense?).

I never new what a roan guinea pig was either! Thanks for this post!

P.S. If I ever get a roan guinea pig that is black & white, his name, no matter what, would be Oreo. :p

@Roxymarie365: Thanks! I have heard the term many times and was never quite sure what it was. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't know:eek:

Hmm...I think breeders used to drown merle great dane pups at one time because they were thought "undesirable"...sad, really. Thanks to both of you!

people used to do that with chocolate labs too because they where thought to be inferior

That's so sad! Both merle great danes and chocolate labs are so beautiful! Stupid, crazy breeders...

im not sour but they might have done it with black labs to.. but they did it because for some reason they thought they wernt as good as hunters as yellow labs. and it is sad... vary sad.

So could Holmes be a roan; he's brown and white but lately his brown patches have been getting a lot of white hairs mixed in. I think the other day I may have recognized the same starting with Sherlock, which might make since if they're brothers.

[GuineaPigCages.com] can someone explain what a "roan" is?

I don't know about it in guinea pigs as much, but I know lots about merle Danes.

It wasn't just merles that we're culled, mantles (white with a black blanket...like a Boston terrior), pibald (mostly white with large round black spots), and whites were also culled. Now they all of those but mantles (which became accepted recently) are still culled...but it generally means just neutering (removal from the bloodline) now. Whites are still commonly euthanized young because....well, a 100+ lb deaf/blind dog can be a very bad thing in the wrong hands.

It's neat to know that in Germany any breeding that could result in whites isn't allowed. It's an easy enough thing to prevent, simply by breeding merles or harlequins (white with torn black patches) to only black dogs. If only one parent carries the gene there's no risk.

...sorry for the rant. Genetics, especially Dane genetics, are a huge interest of mine.

A merle great dane is my dream dog :D! One day if I ever have a LOT of land, that's the first thing I will get! They are beautiful! I can see why any kind of dog that is deaf and blind would be a bad thing to bad people! So sad. There are so many sick people in the world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.