Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Can piggies eat banana leaves?

Sarien

Cavy Slave
Every year, for Christmas, my family makes tamales using banana leaves. Since this will be our first Christmas with our piggies, one of my sisters suggested we use the banana leaf scraps to make the piggies their own "tamales."

Her idea is to cup up their veggies and a little bit of their favorite fruit and then wrap it in the banana leaf.

My question is, can they eat banana leaves?

Yes. Piggies can have banana leaves, skin, the inside and the trunk in moderation. So I've read...
I'm not sure what a tamale is other than being a food, as long as the leaf is clean and uncooked (?), I guess it's okay.
Then again, I'm not really an expert and the information I just gave above came from not so reliable source. I'm curious about this too. :)

I can't find anything that says that the leaves can be safely eaten. They're obviously not poisonous, since so many cultures wrap food in them and cook it, but nobody seems to be eating the leaves themselves.

I'd pass on it -- use a lettuce leaf instead.

Yea, the leaves are just used for wrapping, we don't eat them.
Thanks for the idea bpatters. I'll just stick with lettuce leafs.
:)

I did a little digging and found a few websites that mention feeding banana leaves to rabbits. I don’t have any experience with this myself, so I can’t personally vouch for its safety but suspect it is okay in small amounts. You might check on the web for more information before deciding whether or not to feed. If you do choose to do so, I’d suggest proceeding with caution until you know how your own guinea pig’s digestion will handle this new food.

I also found a reference to a study done several years ago in Tanzania that suggested the leaves, stem and core provide enough nutritional value to be considered "highly valuable" for cows and cattle.

It's up to you whether or not you want to try it, but I highly doubt that it would be harmful.

Thanks Paula.
I did some searching online and I stumbled across a few people who stated they fed banana leaves to their pigs without incident.

But I'll go with bpatters idea. I don't want to risk upsetting my girl's tummies.
Thanks for all the help.

Good plan. I know most of my pig would probably turn their little noses up at banana leaves anyway. Better to stick with an old favorite!

I'm sure they'll appreciate it just the same.

I've used corn husk in a similar way in the past. You just need to tear a little strip off to tie it up with. The pigs have always enjoyed their husky treats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.