Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Can introducing guinea pigs use to being in pairs with another pair be a mistake?

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to up date everyone that everything and everybody is doing great being back in their own cages both Dora and Olivia and Sophia and Jasmine all eat their vegetables I put in their respective cages last night. When I left this morning each group was eatting their morning bowl of vegetables and chewing on their hay. It seems Dora and Olivia are back to being best buds as the bickering between them is over. It seems tha the babies were happy to eat out of both their hay bin, pellet and vegetable bowl without getting chased awy.

melynda

Cavy Slave
So glad to hear it.
You can always try again in the future if you wanted to re-introduce them. But sometimes it just doesn't work. You have to go with your gut.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
So glad to hear it.
You can always try again in the future if you wanted to re-introduce them. But sometimes it just doesn't work. You have to go with your gut.

I am going with my gut feeling on this that none of them were happy about the four of them being in the same cage. There's no more chasing around, no more tormenting the babies by the adults and no more hyde issues.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Came home from work and everything was obviously much better and calmer then on Wednesday. Everyone was pretty much resting in there hydes and I could tell by the looks of both cages that there had been much hay eating going on while I was gone. Even though there's hay racks in each cage I'm going to see what happens if I fill the racks and put a handful of hay loose in front of it. They seem to pull the hay out of the racks and lay it in front anyways so I figured I might as well give them a hand.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
It will be interesting to see what's left of the two paper lunch bags I put in the babies cage as I heard the sound of the bags being messed with not to look ago. Both girls are very curious about new things like that so I'm not surprised that they have ventured out to see what they are.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad things have calmed down and improved. Ferb eats more hay if I let him graze it off the ground but he wastes so much. He gets it on the ground in his playpen and in the hayrack in his cage.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I'm glad things have calmed down and improved. Ferb eats more hay if I let him graze it off the ground but he wastes so much. He gets it on the ground in his playpen and in the hayrack in his cage.

I was surprised when I got home and the hay they had gotten out of the rack wasn't wet in either of the cages. When I would just put the hay on the fleece in the cage when I first got Dora and Olivia, they would soil it and thus I would have to dump it.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb won't pee or poop in the hay on the playpen floor but if he pulls hay out of the rack in his cage he will pee and poop in it. I can't figure it out, lol. It's good that yours left the hay edible!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Ferb won't pee or poop in the hay on the playpen floor but if he pulls hay out of the rack in his cage he will pee and poop in it. I can't figure it out, lol. It's good that yours left the hay edible!

We will see if that lasts. Oh the adult piggies did teach the youngsters one thing, they taught them out to poop on both sides of the hay rack. They weren't doing that before and now are and that's what Dora and Olivia do.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That's an important piggie skill, lol.