Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
Can you use shoe boxes and stuff like that to mkae hideaways? What are some fo your suggestions on how to make some hide aways?

Yep! Right now our girls are in an upside-down amazon box and a cardboard box that held a bike helmet. Just remove tape and plastic pieces they can reach... you don't want them eating that.

For my guineapig xmas present my B/f made them great cardboard boxes..They love them...They get a bit wet but they do dry out...They also chew the cardboard. I called my vet to make sure it was safe for them and they told it was ok..In fact they gave to the rabbits that board there. I also gave them old coke boxes which they love..Here are some pigtures..

[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?

Attachments

IMG_1310.jpg
Cut the bottoms out of the boxes so they don't get so yucky.

Cut the bottoms out of the boxes so they don't get so yucky.

Agreed!! Ive used the fridge packs with my pigs before and found that if left intact, they won't last long because the bottom becomes a big mess of pee and wet poos.

I'm not worried..I hate to say but I LOVE coke to much that I not have a new when it gets to bad heheh. But maybe i'll try cutting out the bottom anyways..

Cardboard is great! It also gives me an excuse to recycle without having to walk 30 feet to the recycle bin. :p I also have a biiiigggg cardboard tube that they love to run through.

Would love to see other pigtures of piggies enjoying thier cardboard boxes...Pics Please!

Yeah I did cut the bottom of the boxes out already. =)

My two boys eat the cardboard.....Like yesterday, I put an empty toilet paper roll in the cage and they were both just munchin on it, down to the point where there was only half of it left and I ended up tossing it. Is it ok if they eat the cardboard?

Don't spend money on hideys, homemade stuff is way better! I have used all manner of boxes, but I use dr pepper cases instead of coke lol for my tunnels!! My son's old training potty's bottom is blue plastic molded into a wood stump. I cut two holes in it and it's my favorite hidey I have. It's about the size of a large pigloo but way cooler looking. I also have two grids bent in a U attached to form a tunnel. I then cut strips of fleece and tied them to make a fleece forest/tunnel hybrid. It's the only spot my two pigs will share and sleep, usually ones in a hidey while the other sleeps outside it. I think it's a dominance thing, because most of the hideys have room for two and then some.

My two boys eat the cardboard.....Like yesterday, I put an empty toilet paper roll in the cage and they were both just munchin on it, down to the point where there was only half of it left and I ended up tossing it. Is it ok if they eat the cardboard?

It's fine as long as there isn't any tape or plastic on it.

One thing I forgot to ask about cardboard boxes. Should I give them just plain brown boxes or any box is safe..I just worry about the ink. Like is the one below ok?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?

I never bought any hideys for my piggies, I use whatever appropriate sized cardboard boxes I find. :D My daughter loves to make the hideys, and she decorates them with her markers and crayons. They last a good while, and really, the only chewing the piggies do seems to be right when I first put them in, they may experimentally nibble on the edges, but after that, they dont. Very useful, and a fun kid project, for those who have them. :) I dont have my camera on me right now, but Ill see if I can find a pic or 2 of them in their boxes to show you. Oh, make sure you have 2 entrances, to prevent one piggy from being trapped.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?[GuineaPigCages.com] Can I use shoe boxes to make hide aways?

Sorry, LOL I could only find a picture of the one hidey, my daughter has made many more than that, of different sizes, but there is an oatmeal can with the bottom cut out, makes a great tube, and a couple of different cardboard hay boxes. Hope that's helpful! :D

That last picture that says thumbnail, was supposed to show the other hidey, which was made from a 12pk soda box...

Attachments

DSC03655.jpg
Last edited:
Cute piggies..Love the boxes..I guess if you daughter is coloring them. I don't have to ask if it's non-toxic. How old is you daughter..She must love the piggies.. How old are you piggies. I'll have to get my 6 year old neice to make a hideoh My Mandy and Cupcake..

Thanks! :D I have a lot more homemade hideys, (my daughter loves to make new ones all the time), but like I said, no camera today. :sad: Oh well. My daughter is 4, and the piggies are actually 'hers', but mostly she helps me care for them. She loves them to death though. :) She also named them, they are all male, but she named the mostly white one Linda, (as in spanish for pretty, 'leen-duh'), and the one with a white patch on its rump is Pancake, and she says these 2 are girls, and the other one is Pancake, and she is content to leave him a boy. lol So silly. Im not sure on the piggies ages. I got them all off of craigslist. Linda is around 1yr old, according to what her previous owner said, and Pickle and Pancake, (brothers) are about 6-7 months, according to their previous owners.
And yep, my daughter uses non-toxic everything. :p
Glad I could help, and good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.