Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Can I use mattress pad under fleece?

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
Hi! Im new to this forum, and a new Guinea pig owner as well. We made a C&C cage and I decided to give the fleece a try. So far its working well, but I dont like having to try to lay the towels out even/flat, or spend the money on puppy pads. I was at Target today and saw the mattress pads that are cotton with fiber quilted in and a waterproof bottom and it got me thinking...can I cut one of these up to sew to my fleece to make a blanket for the cage? Has anyone tried this? Im wondering how much absorbency these really have compared to regular terry towels. Any advice or input please? Im going to try to put together my next set of fleece covers this weekend.:) Thanks!

As long as you have an absorbant layer below your fleece, the wicking layer, then it should be fine. I don't have personal experience with mattress pads (I prefer uhaul pads to anything), so I don't know how well they absorb, and I am sure each brand/pad absorbs differently.

If they aren't prohibitively expensive, I would buy one and test it out for a week before sewing it to the fleece. If the fleece stays dry and it controls odor to your liking, then I say go for it. Hopefully someone with experience using the mattress pads can chime in.

Absorbency of mattress pads is excellent, and you can get them very cheaply at thrift stores.

If you use them, do wash them several times in very hot water and dry them on hot before you cut them -- many of them will shrink.

Thanks for the fast response SurfingPigs! Thats why Im asking because Im not sure if I need to add an additional layer of something else like terry or who know what to help with the wet control. I need to get to our local uhal one of these days and see if they have those blankets. Do you use just the uhal blanket directly under the fleece and thats it?

I have a few pads with mattress pads underneath, but mine don't have a waterproof backing. I do have to put towels underneath, though. Would it be possible to put a towel layer between the fleece and mattress pad?

I guess it depends on how often you change out your fleece, and how many pigs live in the cage. I only change mine once a week so I need extra layers.

Absorbency of mattress pads is excellent, and you can get them very cheaply at thrift stores.

If you use them, do wash them several times in very hot water and dry them on hot before you cut them -- many of them will shrink.
Thank you! I bought a twin sized one at Target for $16 so it wasnt too expensive. I was planning on washing it first anyway so its good to know that they may shrink, thank you! I need to get on this project ASAP as my new girl that I just bought a few weeks ago apparently was pregnant (Doh!) when I bought her and from what I can tell is due any day now. I want to be sure to have a few changes of blankets available to be sure to keep the cage clean.

I have a few pads with mattress pads underneath, but mine don't have a waterproof backing. I do have to put towels underneath, though. Would it be possible to put a towel layer between the fleece and mattress pad?

I guess it depends on how often you change out your fleece, and how many pigs live in the cage. I only change mine once a week so I need extra layers.
I have to double check but Im pretty sure it said it has a waterproof backing. If not, there is a wateroprioof liner that they sell at the fabric store for making diapers that I can put on the back maybe? Not sure if that would be better or putting a terry inbetween? Right now I have 2 and I do a complete cleaning once a week only, but like I mentioned in another response here, my one piggie is due any second now and Im not sure how many there will be and how long they will be with us:)

If you have coroplast you won't need waterproof backing. If you don't have coroplast and do need waterproof backing, I recommend shower curtains.

If you have coroplast you won't need waterproof backing. If you don't have coroplast and do need waterproof backing, I recommend shower curtains.
I have coroplast on the bottom and 4 inches up the sides.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.