Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can I use grass instead of hay every now and then? + More questions..

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am wondering if I can use grass instead of hay for my two boys every now and then..?

Am also wondering, what else can I feed my pigs that have vitamin C in it other then oranges because they will not touch a slice of it! I feed kale for vitamin C what else has vitamin c and is safe for them?

How do I bath them? I figure I would bathe them about every month or every 2 months. I've had them for a month now and they are so amazing :)..

How do I weigh them? I am a little concered my boys look overweight..

lf you can answer these thanks!

Grass is more of a treat, always make sure that it is free of anything. Hay should be available at all times. Timothy, orchard, or bluegrass hays are all good options. Red bell pepper is good for vitamin C, but should be given in moderation. Also there are vitamin C tablets by oxbow you can smash them and mix with your pellets or just break them in half and give directly to the pig, my pigs all love it and never do the vita drops in their water. Bathing depends on whether or not you have long haired guinea pigs or short hair. Every month seem excessive. Use a kitchen scale that does grams. I got a really cheap one off ebay. Hope this helps!

Anyways what kind of piggies do you have? How old are they and what kind of cage are they in if you don't mind me asking? Oh and if you can we would love to see some pics. :)

Grass is more of a treat, always make sure that it is free of anything. Hay should be available at all times. Timothy, orchard, or bluegrass hays are all good options. Red bell pepper is good for vitamin C, but should be given in moderation. Also there are vitamin C tablets by oxbow you can smash them and mix with your pellets or just break them in half and give directly to the pig, my pigs all love it and never do the vita drops in their water. Bathing depends on whether or not you have long haired guinea pigs or short hair. Every month seem excessive. Use a kitchen scale that does grams. I got a really cheap one off ebay. Hope this helps!

Anyways what kind of piggies do you have? How old are they and what kind of cage are they in if you don't mind me asking? Oh and if you can we would love to see some pics. :)

I have posted many pics in my previous threads. They are two years old both brothers they have a 2x5 c&c with two houses for each 2 bowls 2 bottles and some toys in there. :)

I have posted many pics in my previous threads. They are two years old both brothers they have a 2x5 c&c with two houses for each 2 bowls 2 bottles and some toys in there. :)

I found them they are too cute. I have a black and white piggie too. :)

In order to get the adequate amount of vitamin C and all other nutrients, you want to feed them a varied diet of vegetables and occasional fruits. If you look at the veggie charts that are on this site, you can see how much vitamin C, calcium, etc that each veggie contains. I give mine cilantro, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, parsley, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, some cucumber, butterhead (sp?) lettuce, carrots, etc. I would be very careful with the kale and feed it to them sparingly because it is quite high in calcium. Calcium causes kidney stones.
They only need bathed as needed. For my pigs, it about 2-3 times a year. I put down a wash rag in the sink to prevent slipping and just put maybe an inch of water in the sink. You can buy small animal shampoo or use blue Dawn soap. (it is more drying though with their hair) You do not need to wash their hand...just the rest of them. I wrap them in a towel afterwards and then blow dry them with my dryer set on the cool setting. (you don't want them to get too hot). Of course, follow up with some good veggies!!
You can weigh them with a small kitchen scale that has grams. Pigs should have a nice round belly.
Congrats on your pigs! They really are awesome, sweet little animals!

Hello, I am wondering if I can use grass instead of hay for my two boys every now and then..?
Grass can be fed instead of hay if you get them used to it. Feed small amount at first so they don't get tummy ache. They'll need unlimited amount of grass if you choose to feed grass instead of hay. Make sure the grass is clean (no pesticides, no herbicides, no animal waste)
https://www.guinealynx.info/forages.html

Am also wondering, what else can I feed my pigs that have vitamin C in it other then oranges because they will not touch a slice of it! I feed kale for vitamin C what else has vitamin c and is safe for them?
Green bell peppers are high in vitamin C and can be fed everyday. Here's a food chart you can see what else you can feed them.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

How do I bath them? I figure I would bathe them about every month or every 2 months. I've had them for a month now and they are so amazing :)..
https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html

How do I weigh them? I am a little concered my boys look overweight..
Use a kitchen scale. I prefer the digital one.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Grass is more of a treat, always make sure that it is free of anything. Hay should be available at all times. Timothy, orchard, or bluegrass hays are all good options.
Hay is dried grass. Grass has more vitamin than hay.

Hay is dried grass. Grass has more vitamin than hay.[/QUOTE]

True true, it's just that my piggies have always preferred hay to fresh grass. They do get it as a treat every now and again though. :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.