Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

can I take my pig out if I have a cold

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
I think I'm getting a little bit of a cold, but I want to take Carrot, my piggy, out for floor time. Do you think that if I washed my hands very well, took him out and didn't get too close to him that he would catch the cold or would he be OK?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Thanks. I'll be careful when I take him out.

I know that the Cambridge Cavy Trust say, or at least used to, that guineas can indeed catch human colds. When I have cold or flu, I just handle the pigs if absoloutely essential, washing my hands first. Same with feeding time, good hand wash. You can't avoid them all together! Just be as careful as you can.

I've never yet had a guinea come down with an infection while I've had a cold...but better safe than sorry.

I hold my pigs all the time sick or not, I have never had a sick pig. A culture (don't remember which) actually believed they have healing powers, I'm not sure if its true, but they always make me feel better.

Amanda said:
I had a flu type illness a few weeks ago, now two of my pigs are being medicated for Upper Respitory Infections. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Mmmm....that's interesting. Hope your guineas are soon feeling better.
Take care,
Barbara

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I think it's OK, though, 'cause I just took Carrot out and he seems fine. I was careful not to breathe on him, thanks for that suggestion, FurryCritters.

Dagwellismypigy, it's not hard to believe that piggies have healing powers-- I seem to fell better around the wheekers too!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Antibiotics (check the Safe Medications list) are prescribed to treat these bacterial infections (cavies do not get cold viruses)
From Guinealynx. Viruses cannot travel across species, but bacteria can.

DocDolittle said:
From Guinealynx. Viruses cannot travel across species, but bacteria can.

So if you have a secondary bacterial infection ie sinusititis, chest or throat infection following your cold then it is possible?
Better be cautious then.

Last edited:
oh I just wanted to say that in my last post I accidentally(sp) spelled "feel" "fell". Just posted this incase you were wondering about "fell". :)

Yes, viruses are not be passed to piggies but bacterial infections can. If you're not sure if you have a viral infection or a bacterial infection, it's better not to handle the pigs for a few days until you are well.

I think it's OK-- Carrot seems fine.

P.S. Ly&pigs, I like your avatar(sp).

Common colds are actually not contagious. That's scientifically proven, so I dont see how your piggie could get it from you. HOWEVER, if you have a bacterial infection, it very well could be contagious. I would make sure that you are POSITIVE it's just a cold before handling your piggie.

I am positive. But I am feeling much better today. And Carrot seems fine.

All4Cavies said:
Common colds are actually not contagious. That's scientifically proven, so I dont see how your piggie could get it from you. HOWEVER, if you have a bacterial infection, it very well could be contagious. I would make sure that you are POSITIVE it's just a cold before handling your piggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.