Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Can I put Fleece in this cage?

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
Right now while my C&C cage is under construction my guinea pig is in a store bought cage.:weepy: Can I put fleece, towels, newspaper, etc down in this cage while she lives in it? I have some extra fleece lying around. Oh, and my mom doesn't really want to use fleece, how can I convince her?

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Well, personally my boyfriend and I were debating the usage of fleece in my c&c cage. I'm currently unemployed (but get unemployment) and wanted to do something that wouldn't cost me a fortune! I ordered my fleece off site removed and it was around $100. Sounds like a lot, I know!

However, it comes in a set of two (so you can have one down while washing the other), and it is sewn to have a layer of fleece, a layer of an absorbent pad, and a waterproof pad. I knew I wanted to do fleece, but I am SOOO not crafty, and if someone else can do the work for me, It's worth paying for it!!

Anyway, I digress! I considered the cost of filling a 2X3 c&c cage with carefresh (even at once a week) and the cost of the one time buying of the fleece, and knew that it would be much more economical for me go with fleece. Try telling your mom about the money she would save if she bought the fleece for your c&c.

Last edited by a moderator:

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I don't see why not as long as you have several absorbant layers and only one layer of fleece in the cage. I'd choose towels over newspaper, though. I've never used newspaper but I've read here that it's not very absorbant and will stink in no time. I tried puppy pads at first and it started to smell pretty quickly and they were expensive.

I would tell your mom what a huge money saver fleece is. I use Carefresh in the kitchen area of my cage and I can't imagine the expense of using it for an entire cage! When you get your C&C rebuilt you can probably find mattress pads and/or old towels at your local Goodwill (or similar) for really cheap. I bought two mattress pads there for less than $5 each. And you can buy fleece at a fabric store for pretty cheap per yard depending on the pattern you get. Personally, for me, blizzard fleece from JoAnn Fabric has worked out the best.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I use fleece in the pet store cages when I have to use them. Trips or quarentine times. I put down a towl and a piece of fleece and change it when needed. So you should be fine.