Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Can i introduce a new bonded pair too a resident guinea pig?

fluffybuttmum

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I have had my bonded desexed male and female piggies for almost 2.5 years now, they are about 3 years old. Recently Penguin (Male) had gotten very sick and passed away. This has left Peaches (Female) on her own and i am thinking of adopting another guinea pig or 2 to keep her company. i was wondering if it was okay to adopt an already bonded pair and introduce them to Peaches (properly and responsibly of course). I always wanted to add a third member and even expanded the cage in preperation but Penguin got sick unexpectedly and i am left with one lonely piggy ): I was thinking of making a 2 female and 1 neutered male group. (Peaches is also desexed). would this dynamic work best? Is it advisable to get guinea pigs that are similar age to Peaches too?

Thankyou!! <3

Age doesn't really matter when it comes to sow introductions, so new cage mates don't necessarily need to be similar in age to Peaches.

I have had good success with a 2 sows and 1 neutered boar trio (it was originally a 3 sow, 1 neutered boar quad but one girl has since passed). I have also introduced solo sows to a bonded pair of sows before on a few different occasions with success. The only introductions I have done with my neutered boar was combining him and sow cage mate together with another sow pair and that went extremely smoothly.

A boar and two sows should work well. Just be aware that you'll need a large cage for three pigs -- no pet store cage is large enough for three. And here's the bible on introductions: https://guinealynx.info/introductions.html

I have 3 piggy's.
I connected 2 Wild West cages, and they enjoy it
I put a few Heisey hits, and cordier hides, so they have their own space to lay about.
I also out 2 each food and water, 2 hay stations, so that they all can roam around.

Update on how it is going.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.