Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Can i feed oat n hay

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys its really hard for me to find grassy hay for my piggies any way we have a huge shed full of lose oat n hay dad said i can give has much has i want to them because has it is lose we cant feed it to the cows so i was just wondering if we could feed it to the guinea pigs

I checked with Oxbow hay and they sell an oat hay for small animals. It has to be a grass hay. I also looked up on the internet. From what I have read, it is a hay high in fiber low in protien. It is a good hay to add some variety to what you would be already giving your pigs. Some say as a special treat.
At this point if it means no hay at all, I would give it to them so they can have it to keep down the molars and help with digestion.
I typed in google " is oat hay a grass hay for guiena pigs." Maybe you could research it also and see what you think.

I am sure there are others here too that could help or has used it for themselves.

Last edited:
Oat hay is a cereal grain hay and shouldn't be fed in place of grass hay but can be fed as a treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.