Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Can i bathe him?

cherrytop108

Cavy Slave
OKay so my piggy has really bad dandruff on his back-side and also you can just pull his hair right out. So would bathing him help? I probably should bathe the other one because i got him about 5 months ago and havent yet. Since its still winter they may get cold faster if i bathe them and then stick them in there cage(of corse i'd dry them with a towel first though). So is there a way to help them dry fatser?:confused:

Vixen

Cavy Slave
If the undercoat of any animal is coming off you should brush the animal first. I bathe my guinea pigs.

snickers

Cavy Slave
Pigs do not need to be bathed often. They really should only be bathed every 6 months if that or they can get butt baths if there little butts are dirty from pee. Excess bathing can cause dry skin and there skin is very sensitive. Since you are seeing dandruff and are able to pull the hair out from the skin that could be a sign of mites. Dandruff is caused by mites and lice. You can treat them ivermection or revolution.
Also drying with a towel is not sufficient enough. You should dry them completly with a blow dryer keeping your hands on there skin to prevent the hot air from the dryer burning them.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
You have to be very carefull with batheing as all here have mentioned. I work in an animal hospital and reccomend to take him to a vet. sometimes they can have a mite called sarcoptes or get ringworm (in animals it does not show up like it does on people. In animals it shows up as crusty areas where the hair falls out.). Please be very careful that you go to a vet who sees our fabulous friends and is familiar with them. Good luck!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Aren't you getting ready to treat them for mites?

When a pig has mites and you bathe them, it aggravates the mites and the pig ends up in a lot more pain. No bathing until the mite problem is cleared up completely.

cherrytop108

Cavy Slave
Yea i am(going to use meds for mites) i was just wondering if i should bathe them. I just feel like im doing everything wrong=(

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You need to treat him for mites with ivermectin first before bathing at all. You need 3 to 4 doses of ivermec, spaced 7 to 10 days apart. Go to guinealynx.info and read the ivermectin and mites pages.

Did you get this pig from a pet store? They are usually sick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.