Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can I adopt?

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
About four months ago I had to surrender my two boars to a local guinea pig rescue because of finacial circumstances. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have had to do. I regret it to this day and wish I had a chance to get them back. I felt even worse that I couldn't make a donation to the rescue at the time of surrendering.

Anyways, I'm in a better finacial position now, and really miss having piggies to spoil. Stalking the threads and pictures on this forum probably doesn't help lol

Do you think the rescue would still adopt out to someone in my situation?

I know surrendering an animal doesn't automatically disqualify you. I was approved at my local rescue even though I admitted to them that a few years ago I surrendered a bird I had with psycological issues that I wasn't capable of handling.

I suspect it would depend now on your stability. You are in a better situation now, but will your finances possibly end up a roller coaster of ups and downs? That might be the concern a rescue would have.

If a rescue were to deny you, you could possibly adopt from a shelter. I don't think their requirements are as strict. But I would only suggest that if you are VERY confident that your money problems won't be coming back.

Good Luck. Many piggies need good homes.

I know surrendering an animal doesn't automatically disqualify you. I was approved at my local rescue even though I admitted to them that a few years ago I surrendered a bird I had with psycological issues that I wasn't capable of handling.

I suspect it would depend now on your stability. You are in a better situation now, but will your finances possibly end up a roller coaster of ups and downs? That might be the concern a rescue would have.

If a rescue were to deny you, you could possibly adopt from a shelter. I don't think their requirements are as strict. But I would only suggest that if you are VERY confident that your money problems won't be coming back.

Good Luck. Many piggies need good homes.

Thanks for the reply!
I don't know very many people that can say they are completely safe from unexpected finanical problems. But I understand your point. I am not a fickle person when it comes to my pets, I have had my dog for over ten years and he'll stay with me until he has to cross the rainbow bridge. I will definitely keep the shelter idea in mind :)

I am so sorry you had to surrender your piggies. What about asking them if you can foster some piggies for them?

I would explain to the rescue what happened at the time. I don't think financial issues would bar you from adopting. And actually, surrendering for financial issues was the responsible thing to do. It was better to surrender them for financial reasons than not be able to afford their care.

It's very different than say had you been forced to surrender them bc of neglect or abuse.

I think what you should do is look at a worst case scenario where your guinea pig might end up with large vet bills and figure out if you can manage it without have to rehome them. I'm sure you can always find one that needs a home at a shelter or on Craigslist but for the sake of the guinea pig, I'd really think it through and make a decision based on what could happen. Good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.