Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Can guinea pigs have allergies??

Carrie1

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig started sneezing 2 weeks ago and I took her to the vet where they gave me an antibiotic to give her for a URI. after a week and a half of the medicine she was still sneezing more frequently than I'd hoped by that point so I took her back to another vet that I found out about because it is closer to where I live. I explained that other than the sneezing she is doing perfectly fine. Eating hay/pellets/veggies, going to the bathroom regularly, and is active. The vet said she is doing well and that's a good sign, but sometimes these infections just take a few weeks to get out of their system so we decided to give her the antibiotic for another extra week, this would make her on it for 3 weeks. That visit was about 3 days ago...I'm just not noticing the sneezing get any less, it seems to just stay the same doesn't get worse or better, yet she is fine in every other aspect. So I'm starting to wonder...can these little guys have allergies? Could she be allergic to something in her cage? I have only used boxo and care fresh bedding for her....should I try switching to wood shavings? I just don't know what else to do at this point....it doesn't seem like this sneezing is going away, and if it is allergies I have no idea how to figure out what could be causing them. Has any one else had any experiences similar to mine?? If so please share if you have an advice for me!!

The only kind of wood shavings that are okay are kiln dried pine and aspen, but cedar and pine are toxic. They would just make things worse. I perfer to not use wood shavings at all no matter what kind they are. The carefresh could be a little dusty, but not to the point where they should be sneezing that much.

Have you noticed any other discharge out of their noses or around the eyes? Is it just the sneezing that is the biggest indecator, did they listen to the lungs/chest?

What medicine have you been perscribed for them?

Yes she also has discharge from her nose, has not had any from the eyes the whole time. The vet did listen to her lungs when we were there on tuesday and said they are clear. So yea, pretty much just the sneezing now that's the problem. She has been on an antibiotic called chlor palm. The vet advised me to continue giving her the medicine for another week, so I guess we'll see how that goes. She said that it can just take a while for the infection to clear up all the way. This is a knowledgeable vet who also has owned guinea pigs. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I really just wish the sneezing would stop!

Has she been on the same antibiotic throughout the whole time? Did the vet do a culture of the mucus from her nose?

Yes the same antibiotic, and no she did not do a culture of the mucus from her nose

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.