Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Can guinea pigs be allergic to certain types of hay?

• Thread starter thevultureslove
  • Start date

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I just took my guinea pig to the vet a week ago for a check up at an exotics vet where they said he was fine. Four days ago I got him some oxbow orchard grass hay that my old piggie loved. He loves he too but I noticed he coughed once or twice. It's about 80 degrees where I live and his cage has no drafts, so I did an experiment. I took out the hay and I haven't heard him cough for two days. I put some more hay in today and when he was near it, he would cough every once in a while. Other wise no other symptoms. Could he be allergic to the hay dust? If so should I completely throw it out, or is him coughing every once in a while not so bad. He's not coughing in fits, it's just a small cough once or twice in an hour.

Also my place is always at a cool 72 degrees. I don't handle heat very well, if that matters.

It would be very unusual for a pig to be allergic to hay. Some hay can be more dusty than others, though, and perhaps it's the dust.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.