Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can GPs have a sweet tooth?

AmeliaBedelia

Cavy Slave
Well, I've had my GP for two weeks tomorrow. It's amazing how different her personality is than that first day or two! Her little personality is coming out quite a bit....complete with using me as a persona jungle gym at times during floor time and clacking her teeth at me when she's ticked off. I think she was even begging me for some treats this morning!

Speaking of treats, though, it seems like my GP only likes the sweeter vegetables and fruits. So far she adores green beans, cucumber, carrots, apple, watermelon and one cherry tomato once but not since. I've also tried giving her lettuce (romaine and other green leafy ones), parsley, and bell pepper....all more than once and she turns her nose up at them every time.....and after she's dug around the entire bowl to see if there's something better she'd like.

Her ultimate favorite (which she gets only now as a treat when I have to pick her up and put her back in her cage) is a small red seedless grape......she absolutely LOVES them.

I'd like to give her more vegetables instead of fruit....any suggestions of ones on the "sweeter" side?

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
Red bell peppers are sweeter. You might also try differnt kinds of squash, some of them are on the sweeter side.

Mine are like that too. The favorite is Granny Smith apples.
Good Luck!

AmeliaBedelia

Cavy Slave
cavylover_76 said:
Red bell peppers are sweeter. You might also try differnt kinds of squash, some of them are on the sweeter side.

Mine are like that too. The favorite is Granny Smith apples.
Good Luck!
Squash....that's a great idea....like zuchinni? I had seen some kind of other squash at the store and wondered if guinea pigs could have those!

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
There are lots of different kinds of sqash. Go to a local farmer's market. Some are sweeter than other, but it's a veggie that has vitamin C in it.

Some of the squash I know of are butternut, yellow, acorn, and pumpkin squash. There are a lot more than than I just don't know all of the names.

Hope I helped some!
Marie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.