Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Can a piggie explode from too much hay?

Raine59

Cavy Slave
Okay, so that was a little tongue in cheek, but I just got my first order of KMS 3rd cut timothy hay (was using Kaytee before) and my 2 girls, especially Jasmine, is practically glued to the hayloft. I got it about 5 hours ago and she's been stuffing her face ever since, almost. I don't know how she could hold that much in her stomach. Should I limit it? I've heard some people say it should be given more as a treat and that 2nd cut is better but others seem to think 3rd is just fine.

When my pigs first got hay from KMS they'd eat it like it was the last time they'd ever have it. They calmed down a bit after they realized it wasn't going anywhere.

Guinea Pigs need an unlimited supply of Grass hay as the main supplement of their diet, so I wouldn't worry at all.

My girls do the same thing, and they have had their hay from KMS (2nd cut) since January.

My daughter babysat my piggies this weekend & made the comment about how much hay they ate. Then mentioned the amount of poop they make. I just told her...well.....

he he all pigs are just like that, they eat like desperate anything new ;)

I keep hay piled up in their cage so they never run out. It should be unlimited, not only as a treat. It's good for their teeth and digestive tract so more is better. Any grass hay is acceptable. Something like oat hay which is a grain hay should only be fed occasionally because it's fattening. Alfalfa should only be fed to nursing mothers and guinea pigs under 6 months of age because it's high in calcium and is a legume hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.