Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Can a pair of male guinea pigs be caged in same room with female guinea pigs?

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I have a female guinea pig that had three babies. My chances of finding good homes are slim so I'm thinking ahead. I have the Mom and two girls and the Dad and a boy. Can I keep them in same room but opposite sides? I live in a small house, and I'm running out of room. I'm hearing ALOT of mixed information. I just don't want any fighting when the girls come into heat. The babies will be three weeks in just a few days. Please help!

TrevH

Cavy Slave
I keep mine beside each other in a split cage and sometimes on top if i change the layout as i often do.Ive not seen any problems .The boys do bicker a little sometimes ,but its just the dominant male being bolshy.The girls have never put a foot wrong .
With all animals there all different ,but no harm in seeing how they get on .
I was in the same position a while back when we realised the pair we had were a different sex from what we were told ,we split the cage to see how they went and they were fine .

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've never had a problem with males and females housed in different cages in the same room. I think a lot of it has to do with having large cages so they have space to get away from each other.

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try it today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.