Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Can a change in diet cause darker stools?

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
Let me be clear right off the bat that my little poopers are NOT having diarrhea. Their stools are normal in size and shape and consistency, but today when I was sweeping up I noticed that they are a much darker brown, almost black, compared to the medium brown they used to be. I have recently added a much larger variety of veggies than before, and their hay has changed recently as well, though I have flipped back to the crummy Kaytee timothy and tossed the farm hay for the time being. From only getting carrots and green peppers once a day, they now get red leaf lettuce, green or red pepper, cilantro, and occasionally dill, celery, and once in a while a black raspberry or small strawberry, or a small slice of pear or apple, and everything is spread out to twice a day feedings. Their behavior is normal, and Bogart actually seems extra happy lately, running laps in the cage and popcorning and playing with Squishy, who is always more reserved.

As long as their behavior and health appear to remain consistent, should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this?

No need for concern -- that's perfectly normal. What they eat affects the color, size, etc. of poop at the other end.

Too true with us as well. I made the mistake of eating a dark purple frosted cupcake at my cousin's wedding a few months ago, and the colors that came out for the next few days were quite impressive! I figured they wouldn't both be so happy with an upper GI bleed. Happy to hear it's normal :) They are quite enjoying their new variety in diet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.