Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Can a boar have low testosterone?

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Today's weirdish question: one of our boar's is intact. Picckalo has many disabilities, so I don't know whether this has bearing on my question. Basically, he doesn't seem to share some of the same characteristics of other boars.

He certainly has his manly bits (impossible to miss!) but he doesn't have a lot of boar stank. He smells spicy, definitely different than our neutered boar, but we don't get any overwhelming stinkiness that other folks talk about. He kind of reminds us of being in a souk or something; it's not a bad smell.

We have an intact female (we keep her far away) right now and he can see her when he passes by the run for the floortime pen. She comes over to the grids and looks at him and does her version of rumblestrutting. He has no interest in her. I mean, none. Ever. By contrast, if she has floortime after him, and walks across an area that he has peed on or laid on, she popcorns on top of it and when she is in heat, kind of rolls around on it. (Just to be clear, even if he is disinterested now, we'd never, ever risk having him around an intact female).

He doesn't have "boar glue." He doesn't rumblestrut. He is interested in our bonded pair, who are a neutered boar and a spayed female. He likes to "look" at them through the grids (he's blind, so he is probably sniffing at them). The only territorial stuff he does is when he is on my husband's chest. He likes to pee on him a lot and then turns around and rubs it around with his nose. He also growls at me if I try to get near my husband when he is on his chest. We are going to get him a lady friend (Picckalo, not my husband) but in the meantime I think my husband is his bonded pig!lol

Our neutered boar rumblestruts at his lady friend and at our intact female at every opportunity. Pretty much does all the boar things, just without the manly bits.

Does anyone else have an intact boar that seems disinterested in the classic boar things?

I'm not worried about him, just fascinated by the differences in piggies.

My two boars never smell and I've never seen any signs of boar glue on either of them. In fact, it's my females that tend to smell once in awhile. These guys never mount each other or fight. They are both really laid back and coexist very peacefully. I've had a couple of males that would let off a scent once in awhile but I've never had any that had issues with impaction or excessive boar glue. I don't know if it's so much a matter of hormones but personalities. It's hard to say.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.