Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Calcium for young boar?

HappyCavys

Cavy Slave
Hello, I recently adopted a single boar (app. 7 months old) from the shelter where I volunteer, and immediately got in contact with a rescue to help find him a buddy. She suggested I look at several babies they have available, to help curb any dominance issues. They are almost 2 months old, and from what I have read, guinea pigs need calcium until they are about 6 months old.

However, I am hesitant to add alfalfa hay and young cavy pellets into the cage, since I wouldn't want my older pig eating them and getting sick, which I read can happen if they eat too much calcium at an older age.

The woman running the rescue said the babies were currently on adult food, and they would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I should supplement calcium in addition to the timothy hay and food I currently have. I am feeding my pigs Adult Cavy Oxbow pellets. I checked petsmart for calcium supplements, but didn't find any.

Can I cut up a calcium pill for the young one? Are there other calcium rich veggies I could feed him to make sure he is eating it and not my older pig? Am I over reacting about the whole thing, and the young one will be fine with the adult pellets and timothy hay?

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
An adult won't get sick (as in URI, etc) with too much calcium but it can lead to excess calcium in urine and stool or sludge. If you don't want to feed alfalfa hay or pellets, you can feed at different times (take one out and feed separately) and provide vegetables that are higher in calcium.

Calcium pills are not necessary. Just provide calcium in the diet - whether through hay, pellets or vege.

HappyCavys

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I'll look up some calcium-rich veggies now.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Giving a couple sprigs if parsley a day fur the young babies would be good. But not the seven month old. And you don't need to give then baby pellets or alfalfa, the parsley should be enough :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.