Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cages

dandelion

Cavy Slave
Im thinking about building a cavycage but im i noticed that they have not roof to them....does anybody's cavy ever climb or jump out?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
No they are much too high. Unless you have males next to females or an adventuraous guinea pig. Some people put roofs on to keep other animals out.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
If you look at "closed cages" in the photo gallery you'll find one's which have a roof. So if you're worried about your guinea pigs jumping out you can always have a look there.

My cage is partially closed. I have grids on top of the section where the hammock & pigloo is. I was worried about Phoebe being able to jump out of the cage from them.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I had to put a roof on mine not only because I have other animals, but mostly because one of my guineas kept on finding a way to get out. I found out that she was moving a cardboard house that I built for her towards a wall and then jumping on top of it in order to jump out of the cage (I don't know if she moved the house for this purpose or if she was just playing around). Luckily my other animals had no interest in her, but I went with a roof just to be safe.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Cavies can't climb the sides of their cage or jump that high, at least mine can't.

My pig stand on her back legs and stands up against the side of the cage. She's also jumped on top her hidey house. So conceivably if my cage was open, she could have climbed out of the cage using the hidey house as a step. Although, there would be nowhere to step on to, so I can't imagine her doing that. Sometimes it takes forever for pigs just to get the courage to go up their ramps, I can't imagine any pig jumping into open air without a landing in sight. You could put a partial roof nearby the hidey houses just in case, but I don't think it's reallly necessary, unless you have a cat, like I do.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I do agree that a piggy will not jump into open air. Mine was just jumping unto a chest that we had beside the cage and she would go back and forth from the cage to the chest, I have now moved the chest and even when I keep her cage open, she no longer attempts to jump out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.