Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage sizing help

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone so I will be moving into my brothers room this summer. My 3 piggies are currently in a super pet cage (Largest size) I am going to build a c&c cage! Im so excited the thing is I only have room for a 2x4 cage I cant fit anything bigger. Would this be suitable for my 3 piggies (girls) I can build a 2x2 loft or even a 2x3 loft. Would this be big enough with the loft. If so let me know which size loft I should build. They get 2-3 hours of floor time everyday except on Wednesdays where they only get 1 hour.

2x4 is the minimum size for 3. If they are getting along, you should be okay. Normally upper levels do not count towards square footage. Will you have room for a 3x4? They will probably enjoy the 3x4 more.

I could fit a 2 1/2 x 4 cage on the wall. It would be very tight with a 4x3 to walk in my room as it is small. would a 2 1/2 x 4 cage be big enough?

Sure. A 2 1/2 x 4 would be enough.

Thank you so much for the help. Im excited to get my pigs out of that tiny cage. i wish I could move into his room sooner but he wont be moving out until June.

2x4 is the minimum size for 3. If they are getting along, you should be okay. Normally upper levels do not count towards square footage. Will you have room for a 3x4? They will probably enjoy the 3x4 more.

Why does a loft not count toward square footage? For example, how is a 2 x 4 cage with a 1 x 2 loft really any different than a 2 x 5 cage. It's the same amount of space.

I would definitely add the loft to that 2 1/2 x 4! It helps because it offers a separate space for them to get away if they want to spread out. I think the loft doesn't count toward the initial recommended amount of space because it doesn't add to "running room." But I would add it to the minimum space as a bonus :) Something to think about too, pigs like to run laps around the perimeter, the ramp could hinder good laps. I were going to do my loft space (it's a 1x2) over again, I would have the ramp in the middle to free up lap running space :)

Good luck and Hooray for a bigger cage!!

Why does a loft not count toward square footage? For example, how is a 2 x 4 cage with a 1 x 2 loft really any different than a 2 x 5 cage. It's the same amount of space.

Because guinea pigs need full space to run laps. You can read more on this page:
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Cavies need enough room to do "full-tilt laps." Upper levels should not be counted in providing the minimum square footage. In fact, ramps used to provide access to the upper deck usually take away from downstairs exercise space and count against square footage.

i think because the loft isn't floor space...its a small spot above the big main cage not actually part of the main cage there for it doesn't make a bigger cage...just adds some extra space

Thanks everyone! I think Im going to do a 2 1/2 x 4 and add a 2x2 loft. Ill make sure to put the ramp in the middle so they can run laps.

I think they will love the space because it's alot more than what they have right now! good luck on making the cage!

how would you put the ramp in the middle?

Me too! I cant wait till June so I can build this. My girls are starting to fight over space. So Im worried. And I need to convince my parents soon!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.