Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage size

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
Will a 2x4 C&C cage too small for 3 sows? I know the minimum size is 2x4, preferred size is 2x5 for 3 piggies. I just add in the 3rd sow into the 2x4 cage last week. I gave them floor time everyday. I saw in the photo albums quite a number of members keeping 3 GP in a 2x4 cage. Any opinion?

Yeah, I think thats fine. As long as they get floor time (like you said), then there's no real problem.

i've been doing some measuring, and a 2x4 cage won't fit anywhere. it will have to be 2x3 and it is going to be home for 2 sows. Is this ok? They will have floor time every day in a room instead of just a play pen, so excerise will come...

Please advise me!

My 1st C&C cage is 2x3 with upper level for 2 sows too.

kennethlhm said:
My 1st C&C cage is 2x3 with upper level for 2 sows too.
but mine isn't going to have an upper level...

Don't worry! 2x3 is perfectly acceptable! I've seen a lot of cages that are that size for two pigs. However, I was going to build a 2x3, but then I found an empty corner! So, recently I built a L shaped cubes that would be 2x5 if were stretched out. Do you have any spare corners to fit the cage in?

Oh, if you can't find a corner, why don't you try to build a loft? Perhaps you could try a 2x3 base with a 3x1 loft.

I have a 2x3 with a L shaped 1x3 loft for 2 girls. They love it. I think it is fine, space wise. They race around it and don't seem cramped. I think as long as you give floor time, you should be fine with a 2x3. You said that a 4x2 won't fit, if your space is bewteen 3-4, you can overlap grids and have a cage slightly larger than 2x3 but slightly smaller than 2x4. Petunia's first C&C cage was an almost 2x3...the grids overlapped a bit.

1x3 upper level is definately better than 2x1 size.

How about a 3x3? Will 2.5x3 work? What about a 2x3.5? Remember to check all your options, even half grids can add up to a lot more space! Good luck with your new cage! =)

I think of changing the cage size from 2x4 to 2x5 as I smell some odor smell after 2-3 days replacing the bedding. I don't smell that bad last time with 2 sows only in the 2x4 cage. Keeping 3 sows in 2x4 cage make the cage smell bad faster?

Hmm, I currently have 2 sows in a 2x3 (with a L 1x3 upper) and 2 sows in a 2x4 (with a 2x2 upper). We are planning to add a third sow to the larger cage this weekend (after her isolation period). Could one of your girls have a urinary infection, making her urine stronger smelling than normal or perhaps be in season?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.