Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage size for 3 boars?

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 3 boars but I think their cage needs an upgrade. What size cage is recommended for 3 boars? I'm looking for the best size, not the minimum. I can't make room for a huge cage, but mine is a 2x5 grid and I could definitely double it, and if I need to triple the size I can find a way make room.
It's taken a toll on their relationships with each other being in such a small cage, and I want them to have a cage large enough to have their own space and be happy.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Boars need space. For 3 boars the MINIMUM is 2x6. From what I've seen here, many find that going wider is superhelpful, so rather than 2x6 a 3x5.

I know that you aren't looking for the minimum but for the "best" and that answer will always be "more room is always better."

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Doubling a 2 x 5 would definitely be enough space, but ditto @PiggyGrandma15 that wider is better than long and narrow if you can make it work.

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm going to look at prices and hopefully do a 3x5 or 3x6. I'm also going to add more stuff like fleece forests and a loft.

Any other suggestions on what to add?

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
To add on, my guinea pigs aren't getting along well (we've had a fight with blood) so I'm not sure if I should try to reintroduce once I get a larger cage or if I should just give up and get a huge cage so they can all be separated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would try them all together again in a huge cage. Here's the link for introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

And personally, I wouldn't do a loft. The ramps are just invitations to squabble, and with a big cage, you really don't need one.

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
I would try them all together again in a huge cage. Here's the link for introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

And personally, I wouldn't do a loft. The ramps are just invitations to squabble, and with a big cage, you really don't need one.
Well, I just talked to someone from one of the guinea pig market/cage places and she told me that I have to accept that 3 male guinea pigs can NEVER get along no matter the cage size or anything.

She also said I can't keep them separated and they each need a buddy. Well how can I do that when they tear into each other and pull out hair and make each other bleed? How would another guinea pig fix that?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's suggesting that you need two pairs of pigs, each pair in its own cage.

If you decide to do that, figure out if you've got one happy pair and one loner. Take the loner to a rescue and let him pick out his own buddy. That's not a surefire guarantee that everything will be OK, but it does increase the odds of it working out.

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
She's suggesting that you need two pairs of pigs, each pair in its own cage.

If you decide to do that, figure out if you've got one happy pair and one loner. Take the loner to a rescue and let him pick out his own buddy. That's not a surefire guarantee that everything will be OK, but it does increase the odds of it working out.
Unfortunately I don't have the room for another cage. I had room to add on to my cage, but I won't trust the bully guinea pig with my others again. And I don't feel that I can trust him with another guinea pig in a separate cage after the injuries he caused to mine. At this point I will probably just rehome all of them. I spent months researching before I brought them home and put a lot of money into a cage, toys, food, etc. but it just wasn't enough. I thought I followed everything to a T, but obviously went wrong somewhere.

Every time I come up with a plan, someone tells me it won't work and to do this instead. Then when I get that plan in motion, I'm told again that the new plan won't work and to try this.
It's just too much. I love my guinea pigs very much and I feel like an awful person but I'm obviously providing a horrible life for them and they would be better off somewhere else.

ETA, I believe pets are a lifelong commitment and I've NEVER rehomed an animal before in my whole life. After talking to a few experts I feel that I'm providing sub par care for these animals no matter what I do. I'm sure they'll all be much happier in a different home. 😊

Last edited:

Flowergarden

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I don't have the room for another cage. I had room to add on to my cage, but I won't trust the bully guinea pig with my others again. And I don't feel that I can trust him with another guinea pig in a separate cage after the injuries he caused to mine. At this point I will probably just rehome all of them. I spent months researching before I brought them home and put a lot of money into a cage, toys, food, etc. but it just wasn't enough. I thought I followed everything to a T, but obviously went wrong somewhere.

Every time I come up with a plan, someone tells me it won't work and to do this instead. Then when I get that plan in motion, I'm told again that the new plan won't work and to try this.
It's just too much. I love my guinea pigs very much and I feel like an awful person but I'm obviously providing a horrible life for them and they would be better off somewhere else.

ETA, I believe pets are a lifelong commitment and I've NEVER rehomed an animal before in my whole life. After talking to a few experts I feel that I'm providing sub par care for these animals no matter what I do. I'm sure they'll all be much happier in a different home. 😊

I think you have couple of options. If you have space for 2x6 for the 2 boars who still get on, that's brilliant. Then you could get the bullying boar neutered and find him a wife. As you are using C&C cages you can go higher and have a 2x5 or 6 for the "new couple" up above. If that really isn't possible then rehoming the bully would be possible, but neutering him first would give you double the chance of finding him a dream home.

But please don't feel you have to rehome all three. You obviously care deeply for them and want the best for them. It is not your fault that they don't get on. They are like people - they are choosy about who they want to live with. We would not wish to have our roommates picked for us. We are lucky that Guinea pigs get on more often than not. However trios of boars have very high fall out rates. It is much easier to match neutered boars with sows.

Whatever you decide, you have their best interests at heart, and you are not a failure. There is a lot of down to earth, practical information here:

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forums/behaviour-and-bonding.21/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.