Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage questions for a soon-to-be new guinea pig owner. (Reg: Wood, Fleece Liners)

DanielleLP

Cavy Gazer
I'm wanting to build a guinea pig cage and I'd love to use the plywood we've got taking up space in our garage (purebond which is supposed to be safe). I've never owned guinea pigs but I had rats and hamsters as a teenager. The idea would be to adopt two guineas for this cage. I've done a lot of research about cages but I want to get some opinions.

I'm looking at building a cage + storage area underneath. 72" wide, 24" deep. The cage sides will be 18" high (is 12" better?). Framed with wood with hardware cloth for the fronts. Leaning towards no top. The bottom half would be storage space. Total height of 30" tall.

I'm assuming the plywood floor will need to have a plastic pan of some sort. Is there a good place to find something of a customized size or could I use that clear plastic and use silicone to make one myself? Would cage liners like below mean I could get away without the plastic on the floor?

I also want to make fabric cage liners. Bottom layer PUL (waterproof, to some extent), middle would be absorbency layer using Upcycled towels, and top would be fleece or another soft fabric that wicks the moisture to the absorbency layer. The fabrics are all washable on high heat. I sew cloth diapers so I have a lot of these supplies so it's appealing to me to use something fabric. I am aware I'd need to sweep out cage daily for this. I figured I could just shake these into a bin daily, replace, and swap the pads out completely every 3 days? I was going to make 6 of them or so. I could probably swap them out daily if needed. Not super difficult.

Of course my other option would be to make the base with storage, then put a plastic/wire cage on top but I need it to be within those dimensions to fit. The 2' depth might be an issue? I want to keep the cage under my son's loft bed. It's close to the bathroom and laundry, plus it'll be out of the way of our dogs (who aren't allowed upstairs).

Any thoughts? Am I missing any obvious issues with my design? :)

Super rough sketch. I know structurally, it needs work.

Xq9KIlN

angiee

Cavy Slave
"I'm assuming the plywood floor will need to have a plastic pan of some sort. Is there a good place to find something of a customized size or could I use that clear plastic and use silicone to make one myself? Would cage liners like below mean I could get away without the plastic on the floor?"

I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of
White Corrugated Plastic Sheet. Then I cut it up myself. I like your idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.